A closely-packed (4 mm) diversity slot antennas operating in the UWB frequency is proposed. High isolation (S21 < -20 dB) of two closely-packed slot antennas can be easily achieved in a broad band by taking advantage of the directional radiation characteristics of slot antenna. Quarter-wavelength slot resonator is adopted to improve the isolation in the low-band of the UWB. The simulated current distribution and the radiation patterns of the single antenna element with and without slots are also presented to explain the mechanism of decoupling in the diversity system. Furthermore, the diversity performance of correlation coefficient, mean effective gains (MEGs), diversity gain (DG) are also studied.
2. Bolin, T., A. Derneryd, G. Kristensson, V. Plicanic, and Z. Ying, "Two-antenna receive diversity performance in indoor environment," IEEE Electronic Letters, Vol. 41, 1205-1206, Oct. 2005.
3. Dong, L., H. Choo, R. Heath, Jr., and H. Ling, "Simulation of MIMO channel capacity with antenna polarization diversity," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 4, No. 4, 1869-1873, Jul. 2005.
4. Kildal, P. S. and K. Rosengran, "Correlation and capacity of MIMO systems and coupling, radiation efficiency, and diversity gain of their antennas: Simulations and measurements in a reverberation chamber," IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol. 42, No. 12, 102-112, Dec. 2004.
5. Ko, S. C. K. and R. D. Murch, "Compact integrated diversity antenna for wireless communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 49, No. 6, 954-960, Jun. 2001.
6. Sturm, C., M. Porebska, E. pancera, and W. Wiesbeck, "Multiple antenna gain in ultra-wideband indoor propagation," The Second European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1-4, 2007.
7. Rajagopalan, A., G. Gupta, A. S. Konanur, B. Hughes, and G. Lazzi, "Increasing channel capacity of an altrawideband MIMO system using vector antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 10, 2880-2887, Oct. 2007.
8. Sturm, C., M, Porebska, J. Timmernann, and W. Wiesbeck, "Investigations on the applicability of diversity techniques in ultraw-ideband radio," International Conference on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications, 899-902, 2007.
9. Ben, I. M., L. Talbi, M. Nedil, and K. Hettak, "MIMO-UWB channel characterization within an underground mine gallery," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 10, 4866-4874, Apr. 2012.
10. Hong, S., K. Chung, J. Lee, S. Jung, S. S. Lee, and J. Choill, "Design of a diversity antenna with stubs for UWB applications," Microwave Optical Tech. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 5, 1352-1356, May 2008.
11. Zhang, S., Z. N. Ying, J. Xiong, and S. L. He, "Ultrawideband MIMO/diversity antennas with a tree-like structure to enhance wideband isolation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1279-1282, 2009.
12. Zhu, F. G., J. D. Xu, and Q. Xu, "Reduction of mutual coupling between closely-packed antenna elements using defected ground structure," Electron. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 12, 601-602, Jun. 4, 2009.
13. Ding, Y., Z. W. Du, K. Gong, and Z. H. Feng, "A novel dual-band printed diversity antenna for mobile terminals," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 7, 2088-2096, Jul. 2007.
14. Li, J. F., Q. X. Chu, and T. G. Huan, "A compact wideband MIMO antenna with two novel bent slits," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 2, 482-489, Jul. 2012.
15. Chi, G. M., B. H. Li, and D. S. Qi, "Dual-band printed diversity antenna for 2.4/5.2-GHz WLAN application," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 6, 561-563, Jun. 2005.
16. Li, Z. Y., Z. W. Du, and K. Gong, "A dual-slot diversity antenna with isolation enhancement using parasitic elements for mobile handsets," Proc. Asia Pacific Microw. Conf., 1821-1824, 2009.
17. Su, S. W., C. T. Lee, and F. S. Chang, "Printed MIMO-antenna system using neutralization-line technique for wireless USB-dongle applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 2, Feb. 2012.
18. Antonino-Daviu, E., M. Gallo, B. Bernardo-Clemente, and M. Ferrando-Bataller, "Ultra-wideband slot ring antenna for diversity applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 7, 478-480, 2010.
19. Paul, H., "The significance of radiation efficiencies when using S-parameters to calculate the received signal correlation from two antennas," IEEE Ant. Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 4, No. 1, 97-99, Jun. 2005.
20. Karaboikis, M. P., V. C. Papamichael, G. F. Tsachtsiris, and V. T. Makios, "Integrating compact printed antennas onto small diversity MIMO terminals," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 7, 2067-2078, Jul. 2008.
21. Rosengren, K. and P. S. Kildal, "Radiation efficiency, correlation, diversity gain and capacity of a six-monopole antenna array for a MIMO system: Theory, simulation and measurement in reverberation chamber," IEE Proc. Microw. Ant. Propag., Vol. 152, No. 1, 7-16, 2005.