In this paper, two staggered array configurations are presented for enhancing size and radiation properties of wideband phased array systems. The proposed arrays are obtained either by rotating each element 45° or by inserting additional rows in the middle which are shifted by half the distance between elements. These two configurations allow for a smaller distance between array elements (29% less), while the actual distance between elements in the diagonal direction is kept the same. Reducing the distance between elements results in eliminating/reducing the grating lobes in a wider frequency range, which improves the array usable bandwidth. In addition, this proposed array produces better gain and maximum steering angle.
2. Eldek, A. A., "Pattern stability optimization for wideband microstrip antennas for phased arrays and power combiners," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 8, 1492-1494, Aug. 2006.
3. Eldek, A. A., "Design of double dipole antenna with enhanced usable bandwidth for wideband phased array applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 1-15, 2006.
4. Eldek, A. A. and G. Zheng, "A microstrip-fed quasi-rhombus shape double dipole antenna for wideband phased array applications," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 12, 2461-2464, Dec. 2006.
5. Eldek, A. A., "Ultra wideband double rhombus antenna with stable radiation patterns for phased array applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 55, No. 1, 84-91, Jan. 2007.
6. Eldek, A. A., "Wideband 180 degree phase shifter using microstrip-CPW-microstrip transition," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 2, 177-187, 2008.
7. Eldek, A. A., "A double rhombus antenna fed by 180 degree phase shifter for ultra wideband phased array applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1566-1572, Jun. 2008.
8. Chio, T. H. and D. H. Schaubert, "Parameter study and design of wideband widescan dual-polarized tapered slot antenna arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 48, 879-886, Jun. 2000.
9. Guo, Y. X., K. M. Luk, and K. F. Lee, "L-probe fed thick-substrate patch antenna mounted on a finite ground plane," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, 1955-1963, Aug. 2003.
10. Shafai, L., "Scan gain enhancement in phased arrays by element pattern synthesis," IEE Seventh International Conference on Antennas and Propagation (ICAP 91), Vol. 2, 914-917, 1991.
11. Shnitkin, H., J. Green, and P. J. Bertalan, "Asymmetric ridge waveguide radiating element for a scanned planar array," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 1, 55-58, 1988.
12. Green, J., H. Shnitkin, and P. J. Bertalan, "Asymmetric ridge waveguide radiating element for a scanned planar array," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 38, No. 8, 1161-1165, 1990.
13. Song, C. and Q. Wu, "A wide-band phased array antennas with unequal space," 5th Global Symposium on Millimeter Waves (GSMM), 393-396, May 2012.
14. Wang, H., D.-G. Fang, and Y. L. Chow, "Grating lobe reduction in a phased array of limited scanning," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagt., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1581-1586, 2008.
15. Xia, T., S. Yang, and Z. Nie, "Design of a tapered balun for broadband arrays with closely spaced elements," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1291-1294, 2009.
16. Ansoft Corporation, "HFSS: High Frequency Structure Simulator Based on the Finite Element Method,", Version 14, Ansoft Corp., Canonsburg, PA, 2012.