In this paper, design and analysis of omnidirectional single feed circularly polarized, wide axial ratio beamwidth resonant sidefed bifilar helix antennas that do not require a ground plane is presented. The simulation and measurement results show that side-fed helix antennas of various radii gives near perfect circular polarization (CP) almost over the whole sphere except at and around nulls, at a certain turn angle by properly proportioning the area of loop (A) with the product of pitch (p) and radianlength (l) of helix. Helix antennas with smaller radii give axial ratio (AR) close to one at higher values of turn angle with lower value of resonant input impedances but CP is less sensitive to inaccuracy in turn angle. However helix antennas with larger radii results in AR close to one at lower values of turn angle and provides better values of input resistance but its AR is more sensitive to variations in turn angle. The simulated results show that the polarization solid angle beamwidth (for AR ≤ -3 dB) varies from 3.96π to 4π steradian. The gain and 3dB beamwidth of the antennas are 2dBi and 90° respectively. The polarization bandwidth varies from 34% to 65%. The simulated results are verified by experimental measurements.
2. Row, J.-S. and M.-C. Chan, "Reconfigurable circularly-polarized patch antenna with conical beam," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 58, No. 8, 2753-2757, Aug. 2010.
3. Row, J.-S. and K.-W. Lin, "Low-profile design of dual-frequency and dual-polarised triangular microstrip antennas," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 3, 156-157, Feb. 2004.
4. Iwasaki, H., "A circularly polarized rectangular microstrip antenna using single-fed proximity-coupled method," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 43, No. 8, 895-897, Aug. 1995.
5. Yang, R., R. Mittra, and M. Itoh, "A new omnidirectional CP patch antenna," Proc. Int. Symp. on Anennas and Propagation AP-S Digest, Vol. 3, 1848-1851, Jun. 1994.
6. Iqbal, S., M. Amin, and J. Yousaf, "Designing omnidirectional bifilar helix antenna for circular polarization," Proc. IEEE First AESS European Conf. on Satellite Telecommunication, 1-6, Oct. 2012.
7. Iqbal, S., M. Amin, and J. Yousaf, "Low profile circularly polarized side-fed bifilar helix antenna," Proc. IEEE 9th Int. Bhurban Conf. on Applied Sciences and Technology, 325-328, Jan. 2012.
8. Leung, K. W., W. C. Wong, and H. K. Ng, "Circularly polarized slot-coupled dielectric resonator antenna with a parasitic patch," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 1, No. 1, 57-59, 2002.
9. Chang, F.-S., K.-L.Wong, and T.-W. Chiou, "Low cost broadband circularly polarized patch antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 51, No. 10, 3006-3009, Oct. 2003.
10. Huang, K.-C. and Z. Wang, "Millimeter-wave circular polarized beam-steering antenna array for gigabit wireless communications," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 54, No. 2, 743-746, Feb. 2006.
11. Rappaport, T. S., J. C. Liberti, K. L. Blackard, and B. Tuch, "The e®ects of antenna gains and polarization on multipath delay spread and path loss at 918MHz on cross-campus radio links," Proc. IEEE 42nd Vehicular Technology Conf., 550-555, May 1992.
12. Wu, X., G. V. Eleftheriades, and E. V. Deventer, "Design and characterization of single and multiple beam MM-wave circularly polarized substrate lens antennas for wireless communications," Proc. Int. Symp. on Antenna and Propagation Society, Vol. 4, 2408-2412, Aug. 1999.
13. Ryu, K. S. and A. A. Kishk, "UWB dielectric resonator antenna having consistent omnidirectional pattern and low crosspolarization characteristics," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 59, No. 4, 1403-1408, Apr. 2011.
14. Sichak, W. and S. Milazzo, "Antennas for circular polarization," Proc. IRE, 997-1001, Aug. 1948.
15. Solosko, R. B. and S. R. Laxpati, "A log-periodic antenna with vertically polarized omnidirectional radiation," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 16, No. 6, 752-753, Nov. 1968.
16. Lin, C.-C., L.-C. Kuo, and H.-R. Chuangl, "A horizontally polarized omnidirectional printed antenna for WLAN applications," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 54, No. 11, 3551-3556, Nov. 2006.
17. Hong, W. and K. Sarabandi, "Low profile miniaturized planar antenna with omnidirectional vertically polarized radiation," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1533-1540, Jun. 2008.
18. Oh, J. and K. Sarabandi, "A novel high gain low profile miniaturized vertically polarized antenna," Proc. Int. Symp. on, 1-4, Jul. 2010.
19. Wong, K.-L. and C.-H. Wu, "Wide-band omnidirectional square cylindrical metal-plate monopole antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 53, No. 8, 2758-2771, Aug. 2005.
20. Herscovici, N., Z. Sipus, and P.-S. Kildal, "The cylindrical omnidirectional patch antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 49, No. 12, 1746-1753, Dec. 2001.
21. Nakano, H., N. Suzuki, T. Ishii, and J. Yamauchi, "Mesh antennas for dual polarization," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 49, No. 5, 715-723, May 2001.
22. Iwasaki, H. and N. Chiba, "Circularly polarised back-to-back microstrip antenna with an omnidirectional pattern," Proc. IEE Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 146, No. 4, 277-281, Aug. 1999.
23. Kawakami, H., G. Sato, and R. Wakabayashi, "Research on circularly polarized conical-beam antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propag. Magaz., Vol. 39, No. 3, 27-39, Jun. 1997.
24. Galindo, V. and K. Green, "A near-isotropic circularly polarized antenna for space vehicles," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 18, No. 6, 872-877, Nov. 1965.
25. Wang, C.-J. and C.-H. Lin, "A circularly polarized quasi-loop antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 333-348, 2008.
26. Amin, M., J. Yousaf, and M. K. Amin, "Terrestrial mode quadrifilar helix antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 27, 179-187, 2011.
27. Dyson, J. D. and P. E. Mayes, "New circularly-polarized frequency-independent antennas with conical beam or omnidirectional patterns," IRE Trans. on Antennas Propag., 334-342, Jul. 1961.
28. Amin, M. and R. Cahill, "Effect of helix turn angle on the performance of half wavelength quadrifilar helix antenna," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 6, 384-386, Jun. 2006.
29. Tseng, H.-W. and B. A. Munk, "The generation of omnidirectional circularly polarized far field by a pair of orthogonally oriented vee dipoles," Proc. Int. Symp. on Antennas and Propagation, AP-S Digest, 1042-1045, Jul. 1993.
30. Amin, M., R. Cahill, and V. Fusco, "Single feed low profile omnidirectional antenna with slant 450 linear polarization," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 55, No. 11, 3087-3090, Nov. 2007.
31. Wheeler, H. A., "A helical antenna for circular polarization," Proc. IRE, 1484-1488, Dec. 1947.
32., , Nec-win Professional (Version 1.6), [Online] Available: Nittany Scientific, 2003.
33. Ando, A., N. Kita, W. Yamada, K. Itokawa, and A. Sato, "Study of dual-polarized omnidirectional antennas for 5.2 GHz-band 2x2 MIMO-OFDM systems," Proc. Int. Symp. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2, 1740-1743, Jun. 2004.
34. Li, R.-L. and V. F. Fusco, "Circularly polarized twisted loop antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 50, No. 10, 1377-1381, Oct. 2002.
35. Atta, L. C. V., R. J. Mailloux, and M. M. Levenson, "A simple antenna with good circular polarization," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 17, No. 3, 360-361, May 1969.
36. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory, Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., John Wiley and Sons, New York, 2005.
37. Lee, E.-A., "A low cross-polarization circularly polarized spacecraft TC&R antenna," Proc. Int. Symp. on Antennas and Propagation, AP-S Digest, Vol. 2, 914-917, Jun. 1994.
38. Huwhrey, L. C., "Characteristic ionospheric multipath phase fluctuations," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., 299-300, Mar. 1971.