A printed Log-periodic dipole array (LPDA) is presented, operating over the C, X and Ku bands. The antenna feeding structure consists of two coaxial cables, in order to realize an infinite balun which provides the required broadband input matching. The second coaxial cable mirrors the first one, connected to the antenna input, and is capable of both stabilizing the antenna phase center and improving the radiation pattern. The antenna has been designed using CST Microwave Studio, with an useful frequency range of 4-18 GHz. Moreover, both simulated and measured results show that the proposed LPDA can be successfully used as an Ultra Wideband Antenna in the range 4.25-13.25 GHz, in which its phase center remains stable.
2. Isbell, D. E., "Log periodic dipole arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 8, 260-267, 1960.
3. Carrel, R., "Analysis and design of the log-periodic dipole antenna,", Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Illinois, 1961.
4. Chao, Y., Y. Chen, H. Wei, Q. K. Zhen, and Q. Wei, "Band-notched UWB printed log-periodic dipole antenna fed by half mode substrate integrated waveguide," International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, Bangkok, Thailand, 2009.
5. Avila Navarro, E., J. M. Blanes, J. A. Carrasco, and C. Reig, "A new bi-faced log periodic printed antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, 2006.
6. Pantoja, R. R., A. R. Sapienza, and F. C. Medeiros Filho, "A microwave printed log-periodic dipole array antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 35, No. 10, 1987.
7. Navarro, E. A., J. A. Carrasco, and C. Reig, "Dual printed antenna for Wi-Fi applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 2009.
8. Kim, D., Q. Chen, and K. Sawaya, "Microstrip log-periodic dipole antenna array," Proceedings of ISAP, Fukuoka, Japan, 2000.
9. Gheethan, A. A. and D. E. Anagnostou, "The design of reconfigurable planar log-periodic dipole array using switching elements," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, 2009.
10. Gheethan, A. A. and D. E. Anagnostou, "Reduced size planar log-periodic dipole arrays using rectangular meander line elements," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, 2008.
11. Anagnostou, D. E., J. Papapolymerou, M. M. Tentzeris, and C. G. Christodoulou, "A printed log-periodic koch-dipole array (LPKDA)," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 456-460, 2008.
12. Campbell, C. K., I. Traboulay, M. S. Suthers, and H. Kneve, "Design of a stripline log-periodic dipole antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 25, 718-721, 1977.
13. Mirkamali, A. and P. S. Hall, "Wideband frequency reconfiguration of a printed log-periodic dipole array," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, 2010.
14. Hamid, M. R., P. S. Hall, and P. Gardner, "Wideband reconfigurable log periodic patch array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 52, 123-138, 2013.
15. Lin, S., S. Luan, Y. Wang, X. Luo, X. Han, X. Q. Zhang, Y. Tian, and X. Y. Zhang, "A printed log-periodic tree-dipole antenna (PLPTDA)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 21, 19-32, 2011.
16. Karim, M. N. A., M. K. Abd Rahim, H. A. Majid, O. B. Ayop, M. Abu, and F. Zubir, "Log periodic fractal koch antenna for UHF band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 201-218, 2010.
17. Feng, C. and Q. Jian, "A novel infinite balun used in folded dipole," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 1, 547-548, 1990.
18. Pozar, D. M., "Microstrip Antennas: The Analysis and Design of Microstrip Antennas and Arrays," IEEE Press, 1995.
19. Mazzarella, G., "CAD modeling of interdigitated structures," IEEE Transactions on Education, Vol. 42, No. 1, 81-87, 1999.