A unique-planar vialess Marchand balun for V-band application is presented. The balun can achieve less than 2° phase imbalance and 0.3 dB amplitude imbalance from 54 GHz to 66 GHz, with the insertion losses of -3.6 dB and -3.9 dB for the two balanced ports and the return loss of unbalanced port of less than -15 dB in the unbalanced port. The novel back-to-back measured method has been proposed and analyzed, the amplitude and phase imbalances can be derived from the measured back-to-back two-port scattering results. The extracted results achieve good agreement with the single balun simulation, no more than 0.15 dB and 1° amplitude and phase differences. This balun configuration and the measurement method can simplify the fabrication, achieve good yield, ease the assembling and decrease the cost.
2. Yang, H.-Y., J.-H. Tsai, T.-W. Huang, and H. Wang, "Analysis of a new 33-58 GHz doubly balanced drain mixer in 90-nm CMOS technology," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 60, No. 4, 1057-1068, Apr. 2012.
3. Chiou, H.-K. and J.-Y. Lin, "Balanced mixers using wideband symmetric offset strack balun in 0.18 μm CMOS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 23, 41-54, 2011.
4. Lee, J.-W., L. F. Eastman, and K. J. Webb, "A Gallium-Nitride push-pull microwave power amplifier," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 11, 2243-2249, Nov. 2003.
5. Marchand, N., "Transmission line conversion transformers," Electronics, Vol. 17, No. 12, 142-145, Dec. 1944.
6. Chongcheawchamnan, M., C. Y. Ng, K. Bandudej, A. Worapishet, and I. D. Robertson, "On miniaturization isolation network of an all-ports matched impedance-transforming marchand balun," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 13, No. 7, 281-283, Jul. 2003.
7. Shao, J. , H. Zhang, C. Chen, S. Tan, and K. J. Chen, "A compact dual-band coupled-line balun with tapped open-ended stubs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 22, 109-122, 2011.
8. Kidera, N., S. Watanabe, K. Watanabe, S. Pinel, and J. Laskar, "Wideband, low loss and compact 3D LTCC balun with asymmetric structure for millimeter wave applications," 2005 IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 547-550, Jun. 2005.
9. Tseng, C. H. and Y.-C. Hsiao, "A new broadband marchand balun using slot-coupled microstrip lines," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 3, 157-159, Mar. 2010.
10. Lin, C.-M., C.-C. Su, S.-H. Hung, and Y.-H. Wang, "A compact balun based on microstrip EBG cell and interdigital capacitor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 12, 111-118, 2009.
11. Settaluri, R. K. and A. Weisshaar, "A broadside edge coupled viasless balun," 2003 IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., Vol. 2, 1251-1254, Jun. 2003.
12. Yeh, Z.-Y. and Y.-C. Chiang, "A miniature CPW balun constructed with length-reduced 3 dB couples and a short redundant transmission line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 195-208, 2011.
13. Sun, S., L. Zhu, and K. S. Ang, "Multisection vialess baluns with coupled-line impedance transformers," 2006 IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 1149-1152, Jun. 2006.
14. Zhang, Z. Y., Y. X. Guo, L. C. Ong, and M. Y. W. Chia, "A new wide-band planar balun on a signle-layer PCB," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 6, 416-418, Jun. 2005.
15. Sanchez-Martinez, J.-J. and E. Marquez-Segura, "Generalized analytical design of broadband planar baluns based on wire-bonded multiconductor transimission lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 134, 169-187, 2013.
16. Ang, K. S. and Y. C. Leong, "Converting baluns into broad-band impedance-transforming 180 hybrids," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 50, No. 8, 1990-1995, Aug. 2002.
17. Mongia, R., I. Bahl, and P. Bhartia, RF and Microwave Coupled-line Circuits, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1999.
18. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 2nd Ed., Wiley, New York, 1998.