A coplanar waveguide (CPW)-fed Archimedean spiral antenna with band notched characteristics is presented for ultra-wideband (UWB) applications. The proposed antenna consists of a two-arm spiral fed by a CPW line. The novelty of this design is integrating three inverted U-shaped slots within the feeding line of the spiral antenna to introduce frequency band notched characteristics at 5.8 GHz. This antenna covers the frequency range from 3.1 GHz to 10.6 GHz with VSWR less than 2, except at a band rejection frequency of 5.8 GHz. Simulated and measured data are presented to verify the proposed design.
2. Ren, W., Z. G. Shi, and K. S. Chen, "Novel planar monopole UWB antenna with 5-GHz band-notched characteristic," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 12, 1645-1652, 2007.
3. Zhang, X., T.-L. Zhang, Y.-Y. Xia, Z.-H. Yan, and X.-M. Wang, "Planar monopole antenna with band-notch characterization for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 149-156, 2009.
4. Chen, L.-N., Y.-C. Jiao, Y. Zhu, and F.-S. Zhang, "Dual narrow band-notched ultra-wideband planar rectangular printed antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 2-3, 319-328, 2012.
5. Zhu, Y., F. S. Zhang, C. Lin, Q. Zhang, and J. X. Huang, "A novel dual band-notched monopole antenna a for ultra-wideband application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 16, 109-117, 2010.
6. Xia, Y.-Q., J. Luo, and D.-J. Edwards, "Novel miniature printed monopole antenna with dual tuneable band-notched characteristics for UWB applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 17, 1783-1793, 2010.
7. Farrokh-Heshmant, N. , J. Nourinia, and C. Ghobadi, "Band-notched ultra-wideband printed open-slot antenna using variable on-ground," Electron. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 21, 1060-1061, 2009.
8. Samadi Taheri, M. M. , H. R. Hassani, and S. M. A. Nezhad, "UWB printed slot antenna with Bluetooth and dual notch bands," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 255-258, 2011.
9. Fallahi, R., A. A. Kalteh, and M. G. Roozbahani, "A novel UWB elliptical slot antenna with band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 127-136, 2008.
10. Jang, J.-W. and H.-Y. Hwang, "An improved band-rejection UWB antenna with resonant patches and a slot," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 299-302, 2009.
11. Ren, F.-C., F.-S. Zhang, B. Chen, G. Zhao, and F. Zhang, "Compact UWB antenna with dual band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 23, 181-189, 2011.
12. Ni, T., W.-M. Li, Y.-C. Jiao, L.-S. Ren, and L. Han, "Novel compact UWB antenna with 3.5/5.5 GHz band-notched characteristics," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 16, 2212-2221, 2011.
13. Zhou, D., S.-C. S. Gao, F. Zhu, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, and J.-D. Xu, "A simple and compact planar ultra wide-band antenna with single or dual band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 47-65, 2012.
14. Qu, S.-W., J.-L. Li, and Q. Xue, "A band-notched ultrawideband printed monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 5, No. 1, 495-498, 2006.
15. Peng, L. and C.-L. Ruan, "UWB band-notched monopole antenna design using electromagnetic-bandgap structures," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, No. 4, 1074-1081, 2011.
16. Wang, Z. P., P. S. Hall, J. Kelly, and P. Gardner, "TEM horn antenna with multi-pole band notch characteristic," Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 25, 1357-1358, 2011.
17. Yu, C., W. Hong, L. Chiu, G. Zhai, C. Yu, W. Qin, and Z. Kuai, "Ultrawideband printed log-periodic dipole antenna with multiple notched bands," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 59, No. 3, 725-732, 2011.
18. Hamid, M. R., P. Gardner, P. S. Hall, and F. Ghanem, "Vivaldi with tunable narrow band rejection," Microwave in Optical Technology Lett., Vol. 53, No. 5, 1125-1128, 2011.
19. Volakis, L., Antenna Engineering Handbook, 4th Ed., McGraw Hill, New York, 2007.
20. Muller, D. J. and K. Sarabandi, "Design and analysis of a 3-arm spiral antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 55, No. 2, 258-266, 2007.
21. Cai, L. Y., Y. Li, G. Zheng, and H. C. Yang, "Compact wideband antenna with double-fed structure having band-notched characteristics," Electron. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 23, 1534-1536, 2010.