A novel method for tapered rectangular dielectric rod antenna design is presented. This method can be used to design from millimetre to terahertz antennas. The work modes of antenna have been analyzed. The input modes are fundamental mode and second mode, and the end-fire mode is only fundamental mode. The calculation formulas for bottom diameter and top diameter are given according to the work modes. In order to avoid standing wave in the antenna, the wave will not reflect on the boundary surface of antenna. The calculation formula of antenna length is given based on the radial theory. Different shaped 300 GHz antennas have been designed based on the method. The results indicate that this method is suitable for different shapes of rectangular rod antennas. We also give the other two 1 THz and 32 GHz antenna design to demonstrate this method. The antenna gain will increase with the length expanding based on our design. The bottom and top diameters can be tuned slightly because the work mode formulas of rectangular dielectric waveguide are derived approximately. As an example different tuning designs of 100 GHz indicate that the tuning region is based on the calculation results. The design results have ultra wide bandwidth which is almost 50% of center frequency and high gain.
2. Kobayashi, S., R. Mittra, and R. Lampe, "Dielectric tapered rod antennas for millimeter-wave applications," Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 30, No. 1, 54-58, 1982.
3. Iams, H., "Dielectric rod antenna,", United States Patent, Patent Number: 2624003, Venice, Issue Date: Dec. 30, 1952.
4. Yamaki, K. and K. Kawabata, "Dielectric rod antenna,", United States Patent, Patent Number: 5550553, Issue Date:Aug. 27, 1996.
5. Kiely, D. G., "Dielectric aerials," Methuen and Co., Ltd., London, England, 1952.
6. Zucker, F. J., "Surface and leaky-wave antennas," Antenna Engineering Handbook, H. Jasik Ed., McGraw-Hill, New York, 1961.
7. Simba, A. Y., M. Yamamoto, T. Nojima, and K. Itoh, "Linear array of image NRD guide-based dielectric rod antenna fed by slotted rectangular waveguide," IEE Proc. --- Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 152, No. 5, 331-336, 2005.
8. Whitman, G. M., C. Pinthong, A. A. Triolo, and F. K. Schwering, "An approximate but accurate analysis of the dielectric wedge antenna fed by a slab waveguide using the local mode theory and Schelkunoff equivalence principle," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 4, 1111-1121, 2006.
9. James, J. R., "Engineering approach to the design of tapered dielectric-rod and horn antennas," Radio and Electronic Engineer, Vol. 42, No. 6, 251-259, 1972.
10. Kobayashi, S., R. Lampe, R. Mittra, and S. Ray, "Dielectric rod leaky-wave antennas for millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 29, No. 5, 822-824, 1981.
11. Ando, T., I. Ohba, S. Numata, J. Yamauchi, and H. Nakano, "Linearly and curvilinearly tapered cylindrical-dielectric-rod antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 9, 2827-2832, 2005.
12. Kumar, C., V. V. Srinivasan, V. K. Lakshmeesha, and S. Pal, "Design of short axial length high gain dielectric rod antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 12, 4066-4069, 2010.
13. Chung, J.-Y. and C.-C. Chen, "Two-layer dielectric rod antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 6, 1541-1547, 2008.
14. Chen, C.-C., K. R. Rao, and R. Lee, "A new ultrawide-bandwidth dielectric-rod antenna for ground-penetrating radar applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 3, 371-377, 2003.
15. Blech, M. D. and T. F. Eibert, "A dipole excited ultrawideband dielectric rod antenna with reflector," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 7, 1948-1954, 2007.
16. Ando, T., J. Yamauchi, and H. Nakano, "Numerical analysis of a dielectric rod antenna --- Demonstration of the discontinuity-radiation concept," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 8, 2007-2013, 2003.
17. Richter, J. and L.-P. Schmidt, "Dielectric rod antennas as optimized feed elements for focal plane arrays," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 3A, 667-670, 2005.
18. Lioubtchenko, D. V., S. N. Dudorov, J. A. Mallat, and A. V. Raisanen, "Dielectric rod waveguide antenna for W band with good input match," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 1, 4-6, 2005.
19. Richter, J., M. Muller, and L.-P. Schmidt, "Measurement of phase centers of rectangular dielectric rod antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 743-746, 2004.
20. Yahaya, S. A., M. Yamamoto, K. Itoh, and T. Nojima, "Dielectric rod antenna based on image NRD guide coupled to rectangular waveguide," Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, No. 15, 1099-1101, Jul. 24, 2003.
21. Marcatili, E. A. J., "Dielectric rectangular waveguide and directional coupler for integrated optics," Bell Systems Technical Journal, Vol. 48, No. 21, 2071-2102, 1969.
22. Goell, J. E., "A circular-harmonic computer analysis of rectangular dielectric waveguides," Bell Systems Technical Journal, Vol. 48, No. 21, 2133-2160, 1969.