A new compensation method for the mutual coupling of adaptive antenna arrays composed of wire elements is introduced. For the antenna array composed of wire elements, the new compensation method can decouple the terminal voltages with high accuracy for both the 1-D incident signals and 2-D incident signals. The new compensation method is based on the mutual coupling grid and the transient mutual coupling coefficient proposed in this paper. By contrast with the CMIM and RMIM, the new compensation method can provide better compensation for the DOA estimations. Even for the ultra compact antenna array and the incident signals inclined with respect to the azimuth the new compensation method can work well. The numerical results verify the validity and the effectiveness of the new compensation method.
2. Leou, M. L., C. C. Yeh, and D. R. Ucci, "Bearing estimations with mutual coupling present," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 37, 1332-1335, Oct. 1989.
3. Friedlander, B. and A. J. Wiss, "Direction finding in the presence of mutual coupling," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 39, 273-284, Mar. 1991.
4. Pasalaand, K. M. and E. M. Friel, "Mutual coupling effects and their reduction in wideband direction of arrival estimation," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 30, 1116-1122, Apr. 1994.
5. Adve, R. S. and T. K. Sarkar, "Compensation for the effects of mutualcoupling on direct data domain adaptive algorithms," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 48, 86-94, Jan. 2000.
6. Hui, H. T., "Compensating for the mutual coupling effect in direction finding based on a new calculation method for mutual impedance," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 2, 26-29, 2003.
7. Hui, H. T., "Improved compensation for the mutual coupling effect in a dipole array for direction finding," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 9, 2498-2503, 2003.
8. Hui, H. T., "A new definition of mutual impedance for application in dipole receiving antenna arrays," IEEE Antennas & Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 3, 364-367, 2004.
9. Lui, H.-S. and H. T. Hui, "Mutual coupling compensation of compact antenna array for direction-of-arrivals estimations," 2010 4th International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication Systems (ICSPCS), 1-10, Dec. 13-15, 2010.
10. Wallace, J. W. and R. Mehmood, "On the accuracy of equivalent circuit models for multi-antenna systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 2, 540-547, Feb. 2012.
11. Schmidt, R. O., "Multiple emitter location and signal parameter estimation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 34, No. 3, 276-280, Mar. 1986.
12. Wasylkiwskyj, W. and W. Kahn, "Theory of mutual coupling among minimum-scattering antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 18, 204-216, Mar. 1970.
13. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineer, 2nd Ed., Wiley, New York, 1998.