Novel dual-band 90° couplers with arbitrary power division ratios using simplified composite right-/left-handed (SCRLH) transmission lines (TLs) are proposed. With a degree of freedom in the structural parameters, a SCRLH stub can easily be tailored to imitate a conventional 90° section at two arbitrary frequencies with different characteristic impedances, making the resulting couplers with customizable power division ratios, as well as ensuring the size miniaturization and element realizability. To validate our idea, 90° couplers operated at 2.45/5.2 GHz with various power division ratios are designed and fabricated using microstrip technology. Good agreement is achieved between the simulated and measured results, justifying that the SCRLH configuration provides a new way of implementing a compact dual-band 90° coupler with arbitrary power split ratios.
2. Chin, K.-S., K.-M. Lin, Y.-H. Wei, T.-H. Tseng, and Y.-J. Yang, "Compact dual-band branch-line and rat-race couplers with stepped-impedance-stub lines," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 58, No. 5, 1213-1221, May 2010.
3. Yeung, L. K., "A compact dual-band 90o coupler with coupled-line sections," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 59, No. 9, 2227-2232, 2010.
4. Wan, X., W.-Y. Yin, and K.-L. Wu, "A dual-band coupled-line coupler with an arbitrary coupling coefficient," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 60, No. 4, 945-951, Apr. 2012.
5. Kuo, J.-T. and C.-H. Tsai, "Generalized synthesis of rat race ring coupler and its application to circuit miniaturization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 51-64, 2010.
6. Nosrati, M. and M. Daneshmand, "Dual-wideband branch-line coupler based on a loaded N-segment SIR," Micro. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 10, Oct. 2012.
7. Kim, H., B. Lee, and M.-J. Park, "Dual-band branch-line coupler with port extensions," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 58, No. 3, 651-655, Mar. 2010.
8. Lin, F. and Q.-X. Chu, "A novel tri-band branch-line coupler with three controllable operating frequencies," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 12, 666-668, Dec. 2010.
9. Wong, Y. S., S. Y. Zheng, and W. S. Chan, "Multifolded bandwidth branch line coupler with filtering characteristics using coupled port feeding," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 118, 17-35, 2011.
10. Lin, I.-H. , M. DeVincentis, C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Arbitrary dual-band components using composite right/left-handed transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 4, 1142-1149, Apr. 2004.
11. Bonache, J., G. Siso, M. Gil, A. Iniesta, J. Garcia-Rincon, and F. Martin, "Application of composite right-left handed (CRLH) transmission lines based on complementary split ring resonators (CSRRS) to the design of dual-band microwave components," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 8, 524-526, Aug. 2008.
12. Gong, J.-Q., C.-H. Liang, and B. Wu, "Novel dual-band hybrid coupler using improved simplified CRLH transmission line stubs," Micro. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 52, No. 11, Nov. 2010.
13. Hsu, C.-L., J.-T. Kuo, and C.-W. Chang, "Miniaturized dual-band hybrid couplers with arbitrary power division ratios," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 1, 149-156, Jan. 2009.
14. Lin, F., Q.-X. Chu, and S. W. Wong, "Compact broadband microstrip rat-race couplers using microstrip/slotline phase inverters for arbitrary power dividing ratios," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 17-18, 2012.
15. Li, B. and W. Wu, "Compact dual-band branch-line coupler with 20 : 1 power dividing ratio," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 4, 607-615, Apr. 2011.
16. Chi, P.-L., "Miniaturized ring coupler with arbitrary power divisions based on the composite right/left-handed transmission lines," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 22, No. 4, 170-172, Apr. 2012.
17. Gong, J.-Q. and Q.-X. Chu, "SCRLH TL based UWB bandpass filter with widened upper stopband," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 14-15, 1985-1992, 2008.
18. Matthaei, G. L., L. Young, and E. M. T. Jones, "Microwave Filters, Impedance-Matching Network, and Coupling Structures," Artech House, 1980.
19. Pozar, D. M, Microwave Engineering, 3rd Ed., Publishing House of Electronics Industry, Beijing, 2006.