This article presents the coplanar capacitive coupled probe fed microstrip antennas for dual frequency band operation. The proposed antenna is excited by a single probe feed connected to a capacitive strip. Of the two dual band antennas presented here, the first one uses small air gap and the other is designed without air gap. In the first case an effort has been made to reduce the height of suspended antenna. A vertical slot is placed to obtain antenna resonance at low frequency side, and also for proper impedance matching. After presenting the basic geometry the second configuration (which uses no air gap) which also offers dual band operation at the expense of reduced bandwidth is presented. Measured values fairly agree with the simulated results.
2. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, 2003.
3. Luk, K. M., K. F. Lee, and W. L. Tam, "Circular U-slot patch with dielectric superstrate," Electronics Letters, Vol. 33, No. 12, 1001-1002, 1997.
4. Ooi, B. L. and I. Ang, "Broadband semicircle fed flower-shaped microstrip patch antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 41, No. 17, 2005.
5. Targonski, S. D., R. B. Waterhouse, and D. M. Pozar, "Wideband aperture coupled stacked patch antenna using thick substrates," Electronics Letters, Vol. 32, No. 21, 1941-1942, 1996.
6. Lai, H. W. and K. M. Luk, "Wideband stacked patch antenna fed by meandering probe," Electron. Lett., Vol. 41, No. 6, 2005.
7. Mak, C. L., K. F. Lee, and K. M. Luk, "A novel broadband patch antenna with a T-shaped probe," IEE Proc. Microw., Antennas Propagat., Part H, Vol. 147, 73-76, 2000.
8. Mayhew-Ridgers, G. , J. W. Odondaal, and J. Joubert, "Single-layer capacitive feed for wideband probe-fed microstrip antenna elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, 1405-1407, 2003.
9. Kasabegoudar, V. G., D. S. Upadhyay, and K. J. Vinoy, "Design studies of ultra wideband microstrip antennas with a small capacitive feed," Int. J. Antennas Propagat., 1-8, 2007.
10. Kasabegoudar, V. G. and K. J. Vinoy, "A wideband microstrip antenna with symmetric radiation patterns," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 8, 1991-1995, 2008.
11. Kasabegoudar, V. G. and K. J. Vinoy, "Coplanar capacitively coupled probe fed microstrip antennas for wideband applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 58, No. 10, 3131-3138, 2010.
12. Kasabegoudar, V. G. and K. J. Vinoy, "A broadband suspended microstrip antenna for circular polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 353-368, 2009.
13. Kasabegoudar, V. G. and K. J. Vinoy, "A coplanar capacitively coupled probe fed microstrip antenna for wireless applications," The 2009 International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, 297-300, 2009.
. Kasabegoudar, V. G., "Dual frequency ring antenna with capacitive feed," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 23, 27-39, 2011.
15. Kasabegoudar, V. G., "Low profile suspended microstrip antennas for wideband applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 13, 1795-1806, 2011.
16. Schellenberg, J. M., "CAD models for suspended and inverted microstrip," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 43, No. 6, 1995.
17. Anguera, J., C. Puente, and C. Borja, "Dual frequency broadband microstrip antenna with a reactive loading and stacked elements," Progress in Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 10, 1-10, 2009.
18. Mayhew-Rydgers, G., J. W. Avondale, and J. Joubert, "New feeding mechanism for annular-ring microstrip antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 36, 605-606, 2000.
19. Sze, J. Y., T. H. Hu, and T. J. Chen, "Compact dual-band annular-ring slot antenna with meandered grounded strip," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 299-308, 2009.
20. Lee, B. M. and Y. J. Yoon, "A dual fed and a dual frequency slots loaded triangular microstrip antenna," IEEE Antenna and Propagation Society Int. Symp., Vol. 3, 1600-1603, 2000.
21. Ren, W., "Compact dual-band slot antenna for 2.4/5 GHz WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 8, 319-327, 2008.
22. Su, C. W., J. S. Row, and J. F. Wu, "Design of a single feed dual-frequency microstrip antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Letters, Vol. 47, No. 2, 114-116, 2005.
23. Liao, W. and Q.-X. Chu, "Dual-band circularly polarized microstrip antenna with small frequency ratio," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 15, 145-152, 2010.
24. Alkanhal, M. A. and A. F. Sheta, "A novel dual-band reconfigurable square-ring microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 70, 337-349, 2007.
25. Chen, H.-M., "Single-feed dual-frequency rectangular microstrip antenna with a π-shaped slot," IEE Proc. --- Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 148, No. 1, 60-64, 2001.
26. Arya, A. K., A. Patnaik, and M. V. Kartikeyan, "Microstrip patch antenna with skew-F shaped DGS for dual band operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 19, 147-160, 2011.
27. Yuan, H., J. Zhang, S. Qu, H. Zhou, J. Wang, H. Ma, and Z. Xu, "Dual-band dual polarized microstrip antenna for compass navigation satellite system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 30, 213-223, 2012.
28. Zhuo, Y., L. Yan, X. Zhao, and K.-M. Huang, "A compact dual-band patch antenna for WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 26, 153-160, 2011.
29. Liu, W.-C. and Y. Dai, "Dual-broadband twin-pair inverted-L shaped strip antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 27, 63-73, 2011.
30. Li, W.-M., Y. Jiao, and D. Li, "Dual-band circularly polarized slot antenna for WiMAX/WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetic Research Letters, Vol. 33, 101-108, 2012.