In this paper, we present a new type of a double-negative metamaterial absorber (MMA) with a periodic array composed of in-plane an electric-field-coupled-LC (ELC) resonator and a wire. In contrast to common MMA configurations, a metallic pattern layer of the proposed absorber is placed parallel to the incident wave propagation direction. An appropriately designed combination structure is etched on one side of an FR-4 substrate. Here, we fabricated a prototype absorber with a planar array of 66 × 30 unit cells. Our experiments showed that the proposed absorber exhibited a peak absorption rate greater than 86% at 10.1 GHz, irrespective of the incident angles up to 60°.
2. Landy, N. I., S. Sajuyigbe, J. J. Mock, D. R. Smith, and W. J. Padilla, "Perfect metamaterial absorber," Phys. Rev. Lett., 274021-274024, 2008.
3. Tao, H., N. I. Landy, C. M. Bingham, X. Zang, R. D. Averitt, and W. J. Padilla, "A metamaterial absorber for the terahertz regime: Design, fabrication and characterization," Opt. Express, Vol. 16, 7181-7188, 2008.
4. Alici, K. B., A. B. Turhan, C. M. Soukoulis, and E. Ozbay, "Optically thin composite resonant absorber at the near-infrared band: A polarization independent and spectrally broadband configuration," Opt. Express, Vol. 19, No. 15, 14260-14267, 2011.
5. Jang, Z. H., S. Yun, F. Toor, D. H. Werner, and T. S. Mayer, "Conformal dual-band near-perfectly absorbing mid-infrared metamaterial coating ," ACS Nano, Vol. 5, No. 6, 4641-4647, 2011.
6. Liu, N., M. Mesch, T. Weiss, M. Hentschel, and H. Giessen, "Infrared perfect absorber and its application as plasmonic sensor," Nano Lett., Vol. 10, No. 7, 2342-2348, 2010.
7. Chiam, S. Y., R. Singh, W. Zhang, and A. A. Bettiol, "Controlling metamaterial resonances via dielectric and aspect ratio effects," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 97, 1919061-1919063, 2010.
8. Singh, R., I. A. I. Al-Naib, Y. Yang, D. R. Chowdhury, W. Cao, C. Rockstuhl, T. Ozaki, R. Morandotti, and W. Zhang, "Observing metamaterial induced transparency in individual Fano resonators with broken symmetry," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 99, 2011071-2011073, 2011.
9. Cao, W., R. Singh, I. A. I. Al-Naib, M. He, A. J. Taylor, and W. Zhang, "Low-loss ultra-high-Q dark mode plasmonic Fano metamaterials," Opt. Lett., Vol. 37, 3366-3368, 2012.
10. Tao, H., C. M. Bingham, D. Pilon, K. Fan, A. C. Strkwerda, D. Shrekenhammer, W. J. Padilla, X. Zhang, and R. D. Averitt, "A dual band terahertz metamaterial absorber," J. Appl. Phys. D, Vol. 43, 225102-225106, 2010.
11. Li, M.-H., H.-L. Yang, and X.-W. Hou, "Perfect metamaterial absorber with dual bands," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 37-49, 2010.
12. Lee, J. and S. Lim, "Bandwidth-enhanced and polarization-nsensitive metamaterial absorber using double resonance," Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, 8-9, 2011.
13. Cheng, Y., H. Yang, Z. Cheng, and N. Wu, "Perfect metamaterial absorber based on a split-ring-cross resonator," J. Appl. Phys. A, Vol. 102, 99-103, 2010.
14. He, X.-J., Y. Wang, J. Wang, T. Gui, and Q. Wu, "Dual-band terahertz metamaterial absorber with polarization insensitivity and wide incident angle," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 381-397, 2011.
15. Bilotti, F., A. Toscano, K. B. Alici, E. Ozbay, and L. Vegini, "Design of miniaturized narrowband absorbers based on resonant-magnetic inclusions," IEEE Trans. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 53, 63-72, 2011.
16. Cheng, Y. and H. Yang, "Design, simulation, and measurement of metamaterial absorber," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 52, 877-880, 2010.
17. Tao, H., C. M Bingham, D. Pilon, K. Fan, A. C. Strikwerda, D. Shrekenhamer, W. J. Padilla, X. Zhang, and R. D. Averitt, "A dual band terahertz metamaterial absorber," J. of Phys. D: Appl. Phys., Vol. 43, 225102-225106, 2010.
18. Shen, X., T. J. Cui, J. Zhao, H. F. Ma, W. X. Jiang, and H. Li, "Polarization-independent wide-angle triple-band metamaterial absorber," Opt. Express, Vol. 19, 9401-9407, 2011.
19. Li, H., L. H. Yuan, B. Zhou, X. P. Shen, Q. Cheng, and T. J. Cui, "Ultrathin multiband gigahertz metamaterial absorbers," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 110, 0149091-0149098, 2011.
20. Zhu, B., Z. Wang, C. Huang, Y. Feng, J. Zhao, and T. Jiang, "Polarization insensitive metamaterial absorber with wide incident angle ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 231-239, 2010.
21. Padilla, W. J., M. T. Aronsson, C. Highstrete, M. Lee, A. J. Taylor, and R. D. Averitt, "Electrically resonant terahertz metamaterials: Theoretical and experimental investigations," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 75, 0411021-0411024, 2007.
22. Nicolson, A. M. and G. F. Ross, "Measurement of the intrinsic properties of materials by time-domain technique," IEEE Trans. on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 19, 377-382, 1970.
23. Depine, R. A. and A. Lakhtakia, "A new condition to identify isotropic dielectric-magnetic materials displaying negative phase velocity," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 41, 315-316, 2004.