Equivalent charge method is used to design ultra wide band asymptotic conical dipole (ACD) antenna. Combination of linear charge density and point charges is used to generate different profiles for ACD antennas. Two different profiles of ACD antenna are used as a feed for reflector based impulse-radiating antennas (IRAs). This paper focuses on the selection of ideal ACD profile as well as the requisite charge distribution for ACD antenna as a feed to design 100 Ω input impedance reflector IRA. An ideal Configuration of ACD feeding structure for reflector IRA is chosen based on FDTD analysis results. To validate the utility of the proposed new feed an ACD-fed half IRA is realized with input impedance of nearly 50 Ω. Measurements are carried out using single-ended instrumentation without any impedance adaptor as commonly done with Conventional IRAs.
2. Baum, C. E., "Radiation of impulse-like transient fields," Sensor and Simulation Note #321, Nov. 25, 1989.
3. Baum, C. E. and E. G. Farr, "Impulse radiating antennas," Ultra-wideband Short Pulse Electromagnetics, H. L. Bertoni, et al., Eds., 139-147, Plenum Press, NY, 1993.
4. Baum, C. E., "Configuration of TEM feed for IRA,", Sensor and Simulation Note 327, Apr. 27, 1991.
5. Farr, E., "Optimizing the feed impedance of impulse radiating antenna, Part I: Reflector IRA,", Sensor and Simulation Notes 354, Jan. 1993.
6. Farr, E., "Development of a reflector IRA and a solid dielectric lens IRA,", Sensor and Simulation Note 396, Apr. 1996.
7. Manteghi, M. and Y. Rahamat-Sammii, "A novel Vivaldi fed reflector impulse radiating antenna (IRA)," Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Antennas and Propagation, 549-552, Washington, DC, Jul. 3-8, 2005.
8. Manteghi, M. and Y. Rahamat-Sammii, "On the characterization of a re°ector impulse radiating antenna (IRA): Full-wave analysis and measurement results," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 3, 812-822, Mar. 2006.
9. Baum, C. E., et al., "Sensors for electromagnetic pulse measurements both inside and away from nuclear source regions," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 26, 22-35, Jan. 1978.
10. Bowen, L. H., et al., "A high voltage Cable feed impulse radiating antenna," Ultrawideband Short Pulse Electromagnetics, Baum et al. (eds.), Vol. 8, 9-16, Springer, 2007.
11. Giri, D. V., "Peak power gain in time domain of impulse radiating antenna (IRAs),", Sensor and Simulation Notes 546, Oct. 2009.
12. Sower, G. D., "Optimization of the asymptotic conical EMP sensors,", Sensor and Simulation Notes 295, Oct. 1986.
13. Baum, C. E., "An equivalent charge method for defining geometries of dipole antennas,", Sensor and Simulation Notes 72, Jan. 1969.
14. Giri, D. V., High-power Electromagnetic Radiators, Harvard University Press, 2004.
15. Singh, D. K., D. C. Pande, and A. Bhattacharya, "A new feed for reflector based 100 impulse radiating antenna," PIERS Proceedings, 1635-1639, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Mar. 27-30, 2012.