A novel Koch fractal printed Yagi-Uda antenna fed by coplanar waveguide (CPW) is proposed and analyzed. The antenna has first-order Koch fractal monopoles, and the monopoles' ground plane acts as the ground plane of the antenna. The radiation characteristics of the antenna are simulated by CST Microwave Studio® and explained by the simulated results. The antenna's currents distribution becomes more uniform after being fractal, which is conducive to increasing antenna's radiation directivity. The proposed Koch fractal Yagi-Uda antenna has an operating band of 885-913 MHz (relative bandwidth 3.1%) with the center frequency of 900 MHz. The total antenna size is 171 mm×85 mm (0.51λ×0.25λ) and the length in the antenna's polarization direction is only 25% of the wavelength corresponding to the center frequency. Compared to traditional Yagi-Uda antenna, the proposed antenna can achieve a 50% miniaturization effect.
2. Yong, C., Y. J. Guo, and P.-Y. Qin, "Frequency switchable printed Yagi-Uda dipole sub-array for base station antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 3, 1639-1642, 2012.
3. Zhang, X., S. Lin, G. Huang, R. Jiang, and R. Cai, "Research on broadband and high-gain Quasi-Yagi antenna and array," 2011 International Conference on Control, Automation and Systems Engineering (CASE), 1-4, Jul. 30, 2011.
4. Kouzaki, T., et al., "Quasi Yagi-Uda antenna array for detecting targets in a dielectric substrate," ICUWB 2009, 759-762, Sep. 11, 2009.
5. Lin, S., et al., "Novel printed Yagi-Uda antenna with high-gain and broadband," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 20, 107-117, 2011.
6. Huang, H.-C., J.-C. Lu, and P. Hsu, "A simple planar high-directivity Yagi-Uda antenna with a concave parabolic reflector," 2010 International Workshop on Antenna Technology (iWAT), 1-4, May 24, 2010.
7. Baliarda, C. P., J. Romeu, and A. Cardama, "The Koch monopole: A small fractal antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 48, No. 11, 1773-1781, 2000.
8. Li, D. and J.-F. Mao, "A Koch-like sided fractal bow-tie dipole antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 5, 2242-2251, 2012.
9. Fazal, D., Q. U. Khan, and M. B. Ihsan, "Use of partial Koch boundaries for improved return loss, gain and sidelobe levels of triangular patch antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 15, 902-903, 2012.
10. Anuradha, A. P. and S. N. Sinha, "Design of custom-made fractal multi-band antennas using ANN-PSO," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 53, No. 4, 94-101, 2011.
11. Chung, Y. C. and K. Lee, "2.4 GHz Yagi-Uda RFID tag antenna design with low back-lobe using genetic algorithm," 2008 IEEE Conference on Radio and Wireless Symposium, 475-478, Feb. 23, 2008.
12. Melais, S. E. and T. M. Weller, "A Quasi Yagi antenna backed by a metal reflector," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 12, 3868-3872, 2008.
13. Grajek, P. R., B. Schoenlinner, and G. M. Rebeiz, "A 24-GHz high-gain Yagi-Uda antenna array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 5, 1257-1261, 2004.
14. Mendez, J. A. T., H. Jardon-Aguilar, R. Flores-Leal, M. Reyes-Ayala, and F. Iturbide-Sanchez, "Inductively-loaded Yagi-Uda antenna with cylindrical cover for size reduction VHF-UHF bands," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 2, 357-362, 2011.