In this paper, a compact near field reader antenna is proposed for ultra-high frequency (UHF) radio frequency identification (RFID) applications. The antenna structure is composed of two split-ring-resonators (SRRs) and miniaturized to a special small size of 25 * 25 * 1:6mm³. The measured bandwidth of antenna prototype is 13 MHz (914.5-927.5 MHz) with reflection coefficient less than -10 dB, which covers the China RFID band II (920-925 MHz). Simulation shows that the proposed antenna achieves a strong and uniform magnetic field distribution in the near field region, and the reading range is up to 42 mm with near field RFID tag. Through modifying the parameters of SRRs, the antenna can operate on different UHF RFID bands (Europe band, China band I&II etc.).
2. Nikitin, P. V., K. V. S. Rao, and S. Lazar, "An overview of near field UHF RFID," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on RFID, 167-174, Mar. 2007.
3. Qing, X., C. K. Goh, and Z.-N. Chen, "Segmented loop antenna for UHF near-field RFID applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 17, 872-873, Aug. 2009.
4. Qing, X., C. K. Goh, and Z. N. Chen, "A broadband UHF near-field RFID antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 12, 3829-3838, Dec. 2010.
5. Liu, H.-W., K.-H.Wu, and C.-F. Yang, "UHF reader loop antenna for near-field RFID applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 1, 10-11, Jan. 2010.
6. Li, X., J. Liao, Y. Yuan, and D. Yu, "Eye-shaped segmented reader antenna for near-field UHF RFID applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 481-493, 2011.
7. Shrestha, B., A. Elsherbeni, and L. Ukkonen, "UHF RFID reader antenna for near-field and far-field operations," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1274-1277, Nov. 2011.
8. Li, X. and Z. Yang, "Dual-printed-dipoles reader antenna for UHF near-field RFID applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 239-242, 2011.
9. Dobkin, D. M., S. A. Weigand, and N. Iyer, "Segmented magnetic antennas for near-field UHF RFID," Microw. J., Vol. 50, No. 6, 96-102, Jun. 2007.
10. Kim, Y.-J., J.-H. Kim, and H.-M. Lee, "Electrically small square loop antenna with a capacitive SRR cover structure," 38th European Microwave Conference, 893-896, Oct. 2008.
11. Kang, J.-J. and D.-J. Lee, "Compact mobile RFID antenna design and analysis using photonic-assisted vector near-field characterization," IEEE International Conference on RFID, 81-88, 2008.
12. Chao, J. W., Z. M. Xie, and X. Z. Lai, "A compact near field UHF RFID reader antenna using SRR," International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics, Vol. 1, 330-332, Jul. 2011.
13. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 11, 2075-2084, Nov. 1999.
14. Si, L.-M. and X. Lv, "CPW-fed multi-band omni-directional planar microstrip antenna using composite metamaterial resonators for wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 133-146, 2008.
15. , , "UHF for RFID Regulations," , available at , http://www.gs1.org/docs/epcglobal/UHF Regulations.pdf.
doi: --- Either ISSN or Journal title must be supplied.