In this paper, a novel planar array antenna for multi-band linear polarization discrimination is proposed. The proposed array antenna consists of 12 patch elements and a double-balanced multiplier. A slot-ring and four diodes used in the multiplier also act as an antenna and amplitude detector, respectively. Furthermore, slot lines which are parts of feeding circuits also act as slot antennas. The Both-sided MIC technology is effectively employed to realize the feeding circuit which eliminates the extra impedance matching circuit. The array antenna is realized in a very simple and compact structure as all the antenna elements, feeding circuit and the multiplier/amplitude detector are arranged on both sides of a substrate. The proposed array antenna can discriminate ±45° linear polarization in three frequency bands. The ability of the proposed array antenna to discriminate orthogonal linear polarization is successfully confirmed in C and X band by the experimental investigation.
2. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-sami, "Patch antennas with switchable lots (PASS) in wireless communications: Concepts, design and application," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, No. 2, 13-29, 2005.
3. Sha, H., P. Jin, and Q. Jinabia, "A compact polarization diversity MIMO microstrip patch antenna array with dual slant polarizations," IEEE Intl. Symp. on Antennas and Propagation, 2009.
4. Wang, X., W. Chen, Z. Feng, and H. Zhang, "Compact dual-polarized antenna combining printed monopole and half-slot antenna for MIMO applications," IEEE Intl. Symp. on Antennas and Propagation, 2009.
5. Shi, L., X. Wang, and S. Xiao, "Polarization discrimination between repeater false target and radar target," Science in China Series F, Vol. 52, No. 1, 149-158, Springer, 2009.
6. Cucini, A., G. Macelloni, F. Mariottini., C. Riminsei, and A. Toccafondi, "Design and measurements of a planar microstrip array antenna for L-band remote sensing," The Second European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 2007.
7. Mondal, T., R. Ghatak, and S. Chaudhuri, "Design and analysis of a 5.88 GHz microstrip phased array antenna for intelligent transport systems," IEEE Intl. Symp. on Antennas and Propagation, 2010.
8. Shun-Lai, M. and R. Jeen-Sheen, "Design of single-feed dual-frequency patch antenna for GPS and WLAN application," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 9, 3433-3436, 2011.
9. Hossain, M. A., Y. Ushijima, E. Nishiyama, I. Toyoda, and M. Aikawa, "Orthogonal circular polarization detection patch array antenna using double-balanced RF multiplier ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 30, 65-80, 2012.
10. Mouw, R. B., "A broad-band hybrid junction and application to the star modulator," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 16, No. 11, 911-918, 1968.
11. Chattopadhyay, G., J. Zmuidzinas, and A. E. Lange, "Planar antenna arrays for CMB polarization detection," International Conference on Terahertz Electronics, 184-185, 2007.
12. Coutts, G. M., "Wideband diagonal quadruple-ridge orthomode transducer for circular polarization detection ," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, 1902-1909, 2011.
13. Aikawa, M. and H. Ogawa, "Double-sided MIC's and their applications," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 37, No. 2, 406-413, 1989.
14. Kodama, K., E. Nishiyama, and M. Aikawa, "Slot array antenna using both-sided MIC technology," IEEE Intl. Symp. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 03, 2715-2718, 2004.
15. Egashira, K., E. Nishiyama, and M. Aikawa, "Microstrip array antenna using both-sided MIC feed circuits," Asia-pacific Microwave Conference, APMC, 2002.