A novel compact textile antenna with the appearance of a button on clothing for body-centric wireless communications systems (BWCS) is presented. The antenna is placed on a textile substrate and fed by a coaxial line through the ground plane. The operating bandwidth of the antenna has met the requirement of the UWB communication system. The effects of the human body on S11 and S21 are presented and discussed in detail. The proposed antenna has good omni-directional radiation patterns and stable H-plane radiation patterns. The measured results show that the antenna is suitable for BWCS.
2. Hertleer, C., H. Rogier, L. Vallozzi, and L. Van Langenhove, "A textile antenna for off-body communication integrated into protective clothing for firefighters," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 57, No. 4, 919-925, 2009.
3. Zhu, S. Z. and R. Langley, "Dual-band wearable textile antenna on an EBG substrate," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 57, No. 4, 926-935, 2009.
4. Kaivanto, E. K., M. Berg, E. Salonen, and P. de Maagt, "Wearable circularly polarized antenna for personal satellite communication and navigation," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 59, No. 12, 4490-4496, Dec. 201.
5. Sadat, S., M. Fardis, F. G. Gharakhili, and G. Dadashzadeh, "A compact microstrip square-ring slot antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 173-179, 2007.
6. Chen, D. and C.-H. Cheng, "A novel compact ultra-wideband(UWB) wide slot antenna with via holes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 343-349, 2009.
7. Islam1, M. T., R. Azim, and A. T. Mobashsher, "Triple band-notched planar UWB antenna using parasitic strips," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 161-179, 2012.
8. Li, C.-M. and L.-H. Ye, "Improved dual band-notched UWB slot antenna with controllable notched bandwidths," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 477-493, 2011.
9. Lee, S. H., J. N. Lee, J. K. Park, and H. S. Kim, "Design of the compact UWB antenna with PI-shaped matching stub," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 10, 1440-1449, 2008.
10. Li, Z. Q., C. L. Ruan, and L. Peng, "Design and analysis of planar antenna with dual WLAN band-notched for integrated Bluetooth and UWB applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 13, 1817-1828, 2010.
11. Yang, G., Q.-X. Chu, and Z.-H. Tu, "A compact band-notched UWB antenna with controllable notched bandwidths by using coupled slots ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 14-15, 2148-2157, 2011.
12. Ni, T., W.-M. Li, Y.-C. Jiao, L.-S. Ren, and L. Han, "Novel compact UWB antenna with 3.5/5.5 GHz band-notched characteristics," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 16, 2212-2221, 2011.
13. Klemm, M. and G. Troester, "Textile UWB antennas for wireless body area networks,", Vol. 54, No. 11, 3192-3197, 2006.
14. Sanz-Izquierdo, B., J. C. Batchelor, and M. Sobhy, "UWB wearable button antenna," First European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1-4, 2007.
15. Sanz-Izquierdo, B., J. A. Miller, J. C. Batchelor, and M. I. Sobhy, "Dual-band wearable metallic button antennas and transmission in body area networks," IEEE Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 4, No. 2, 182-190, 2010.
16. Sanz-Izquierdo, B., J. C. Batchelor, and M. I. Sobhy, "Compact UWB wearable antenna," Antennas and Propagation Conference, 121-124, 2007.
17. Das, N. K., S. M. Voda, and D. M. Pozar, "Two methods for the measurement of substrate dielectric constant," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 35, No. 7, 636-642, 1987.
18. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, Boston, 2003.
19. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1997.