A novel design concept of a compact printable orientation independent chipless RFID tag is presented. The tag consists of a circular patch loaded with multiple slot ring resonators. This symmetric frequency domain based tag has the advantage to be read from any orientation with the reader antennas. The tag can be read in close proximity by chipless RFID tag reader with waveguide(s) and also can be read in both near field and far-field of the RFID tag reader with antennas. This tag does not have a ground plane and has higher data density compared to the existing printable chipless tags. The usability of this single sided tag in close proximity is verified by waveguide measurements for both proximity applications such as on ID access cards, item level tagging etc. and slot reading application such as on banknotes, credit cards etc.
2. Hartmann, C. S., "A global SAWID tag with large data capacity," IEEE Ultrasonics Symp., 65-69, 2002.
3. Botao, S., C. Qiang, Y. Amin, D. S. Mendoza, L. Ran, and Z. Li-Rong, "An ultra-low-cost RFID tag with 1.67 Gbps data rate by ink-jet printing on paper substrate," IEEE Asian Solid State Circuit. Conf., 2010.
4. Balbin, I. and N. C. Karmakar, "Phase-encoded chipless RFID transponder for large-scale low-cost applications," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, 509-511, 2009.
5. Mukherjee, S., "Chipless radio frequency identification by remote measurement of complex impedance," European Conference on Wireless Technologies, 249-252, Oct. 8-10, 2007.
6. Preradovic, S. and N. C. Karmakar, "Design of fully printable planar chipless RFID transponder with 35-bit data capacity," European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 013-016, Sept.-Oct. 2009.
7. Deepu, V., A. Vena, E. Perret, and S. Tedjini, "New RF identification technology for secure applications," IEEE Int. Conf. on RFID-Technology and Applications (RFID-TA), 159-163, Jun. 17-19, 2010.
8. Balbin, I. and N. Karmakar, "Novel chipless RFID tag for conveyor belt tracking using multi-resonant dipole antenna ," European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 1109-1112, Sept. 29-Oct. 1, 2009.
9. Jalaly, I. and I. D. Robertson, "Capacitively-tuned split microstrip resonators for RFID barcodes," European Microwave Conference, Vol. 2, 4, Oct. 4-6, 2005.
10. McVay, J., A. Hoorfar, and N. Engheta, "Space-filling curve RFID tags," IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium, 199-202, Jan. 17-19, 2006.
11. Hyeong-Seok, J., L.Won-Gyu, O. Kyoung-Sub, M. Seong-Mo, and Y. Jong-Won, "Design of low-cost chipless system using printable chipless tag with electromagnetic code ," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 20, 640-642, 2010.
12. Vena, A., E. Perret, and S. Tedjini, "Novel compact RFID chipless tag," PIERS Proceedings, 1062-1066, Morocco, Mar. 20-23, 2011.
13. Aminul Islam, M. and N. Karmakar, "Design of a 16-bit ultra-low cost fully printable slot-loaded dual-polarized chipless RFID tag," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings (APMC), 1482-1485, Dec. 5-8, 2011.
14. Islam, M. A. and N. C. Karmakar, "A novel compact printable dual-polarized chipless RFID system," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 60, 2142-2151, 2012.
15. Girbau, D., J. Lorenzo, A. Lazaro, C. Ferrater, and R. Villarino, "Frequency-coded chipless RFID tag based on dual-band resonators," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 126-128, 2012.
16. Aminul Islam, M., M. Shakil Bhuiyan, and N. Karmakar, "A novel compact chipless RFID tag and near-field reader," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings (APMC), 1518-1521, Dec. 5-8, 2011.
17. Kalansuriya, P., N. Karmakar, and E. Viterbo, "Signal space representation of chipless RFID tag frequency signatures," IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM), 1-5, 2011.
18. Koswatta, R. and N. C. Karmakar, "Moving average filtering technique for signal processing in digital section of UWB chipless RFID reader," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings (APMC), 1304-1307, Dec. 5-8, 2010.
19. Lazaro, A., A. Ramos, D. Girbau, and R. Villarino, "Chipless UWB RFID tag detection using continuous wavelet transform," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 520-523, 2011.