A compact tri-band slot antenna based on a mesh-grid structure, which is suitable for WLAN/WiMAX applications, is presented. The proposed antenna is optimized by a Boolean differential evolution algorithm (BDE). Then an experimental prototype is fabricated and measured. Results of simulation and measurements indicate that the proposed antenna has |S11|<-10dB in the three chosen frequency bands from 2.35 to 2.85 GHz, from 3.1 to 4.4 GHz and from 4.8 GHz to 5.85 GHz, which covers WLAN bands (2.4/5.2/5.8 GHz) and the WiMAX bands (2.5/3.5/5.5 GHz), respectively. In addition, good radiation performances such as omnidirectional and doughnut-shaped directivity and reasonable gain over the operating bands have been obtained. This example also demonstrates the applicability of the BDE/MOM optimization algorithm to efficient and in potential automated method for the antenna design.
2. Storn, R. and K. Price, "Differential evolution - A simple and efficient adaptive scheme for global optimization over continuous spaces,", Technical Report TR-95-012, Berkeley, CA, 1995.
3. Storn, R. and K. Price, "Differential evolution - A simple and efficient heuristic for global optimization over continuous spaces," J. Global Optim., Vol. 11, 341-359, 1997.
4. Price, K., R. Storn, and J. A. Lampinen, Differential Evolution: A ractical Approach to Global Optimization, 1st Edition, Springer, New York, 2005, ISBN: 3540209506.
5. Kurup, D. G., M. Himidi, and A. Rydberg, "Synthesis of uniform amplitude unequally spaced antenna arrays using the differential evolution algorithm ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, 2210-2217, 2003.
6. Michalski, K. A., "Electromagnetic imaging of elliptical-cylindrical conductors and tunnels using a differential evolution algorithm," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 28, 164-169, 2001.
7. Yidiz, C., A. Akdagli, and M. Turkmen, "Simple and accurate synthesis formulas obtained by using a differential evolution algorithm for coplanar strip lines," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 48, 1133-1137, 2006.
8. Greenwood, G. W., "Using differential evolution for a subclass of graph theory problems," IEEE Trans. Evol. Comput., Vol. 13, 190-1192, 2009.
9. Zhang, L., Y. C. Jiao, Z. B. Weng, and F. S. Zhang, "Design of planar thinned arrays using a Boolean differential evolution algorithm," IET Microwave Antennas Propag., Vol. 4, 2172-2178, 2010.
10. Choo, H. and H. Ling, "Design of broadband and dual-band microstrip antennas on a high-dielectric substrate using a genetic algorithm," IEE Proc. Microwave Antennas Propag., Vol. 150, 137-142, 2003.
11. Kerkhoff, A. J., R. L. Rogers, and H. Ling, "Design and analysis of planar monopole antennas using a genetic algorithm approach," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, 2709-2718, 2004.
12. Ohira, M., H. Deguchi, M. Tsuji, and H. Shigesawa, "Multiband single-layer frequency selective surface designed by combination of genetic algorithm and geometry-refinement technique," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, 2925-2931, 2004.
13. Johnson, J. M. and V. Rahmat-Samii, "Genetic algorithms in engineering electromagnetics," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 39, No. 4, 7-21, 1997.
14. Johnson, J. M. and V. Rahmat-Samii, "Genetic algorithms in engineering electromagnetics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 39, 7-21, 1997.
15. Liu, X. F., X. F., Y. B. Chen, Y. C. Jiao, and F. S. Zhang, "Modified particle swarm optimization for patch antenna design based on IE3D," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 3, 1819-1828, 2007.