A compact dual-band multiple-input-multiple-output (MIMO)/diversity antenna is proposed. This antenna is designed for 2.4/5.2/5.8 GHz WLAN and 2.5/3.5/5.5 GHz WiMAX applications in portable mobile devices. It consists of two back-to-back monopole antennas connected with a T-shaped stub, where two rectangular slots are cut from the ground, which significantly reduces the mutual coupling between the two ports at the lower frequency band. The volume of this antenna is 40 mm * 30 mm * 1 mm including the ground plane. Measured results show the isolation is better than -20 dB at the lower frequency band from 2.39 to 3.75 GHz and -25 dB at the higher frequency band from 5.03 to 7 GHz, respectively. Moreover, acceptable radiation patterns, antenna gain, and envelope correlation coefficient are obtained. These characteristics indicate that the proposed antenna is suitable for some portable MIMO/diversity equipments.
2. Foschini, G. J. and M. J. Gans, "On limits of wireless communications in a fading environment when using multiple antennas," Wireless Personal Communication, Vol. 6, 311-335, 1998.
3. Abouda, A. A. and S. G. Hggman, "Effect of mutual coupling on capacity of MIMO wireless channels in high SNR scenario," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 27-40, 2006.
4. Bolin, T., A. Derneryd, G. Kristensson, V. Plicanic, and Z. Ying, "Two-antenna receive diversity performance in indoor environment ," Electronic Letters, Vol. 41, 1205-1206, 2005.
5. Boerman, J. D. and J. T. Bernhard, "Performance study of pattern reconfigurable antennas in MIMO communication systems ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 1, 231-236, 2008.
6. Chen, S.-C., Y.-S. Wang, and S.-J. Chung, "A decoupling technique for increasing the port isolation between two strongly coupled antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 12, 3650-3658, 2008.
7. Cui, S., S. X. Gong, Y. Liu, W. Jiang, and Y. Guan, "Compact and low coupled monopole antennas for MIMO system applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 5-6, 703-712, 2011.
8. Chi, G., B. Li, and D. Qi, "Dual-band printed diversity antenna for 2.4/5.2 GHz WLAN application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 45, No. 6, 561-563, 2005.
9. Wu, T.-Y., S.-T. Fang, and K.-L. Wong, "Printed diversity monopole antenna for WLAN operation," Electronic Letters, Vol. 38, No. 25, 1625-1626, 2002.
10. Cheng, Y., W.-J. Lü, C.-H. Cheng, W. Cao, and Y. Li, "Compact diversity antenna with T shape stub for ultra-wideband applications," Proc. 2008 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 1-4, Macau, 2008.
11. See, T. S. P. and Z. N. Chen, "An ultrawideband diversity antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 6, 1597-1604, 2009.
12. Ding, Y., Z. Du, K. Gong, and Z. Feng, "A novel dual-band printed diversity antenna for mobile terminals," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 7, 2088-2096, 2007.
13. Zhang, S., Z. Ying, J. Xiong, and S. He, "Ultrawideband MIMO/diversity antennas with a tree-like structure to enhance wideband isolation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1279-1283, 2009.
14. Diallo, A., C. Luxey, P. L. Thuc, R. Staraj, and G. Kossiavas, "Study and reduction of the mutual coupling between two mobile phone PIFAs operating in the DCS1800and UMTS bands," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 11, 3063-3073, 2006.
15. Diallo, A., C. Luxey, P. Le Thuc, R. Staraj, and G. Kossiavas, "Enhanced two-antenna structures for universal mobile telecommunications system diversity terminals," IET Microwave Antenas and Propagation, Vol. 2, 93-101, 2008.
16. Chebihi, A., C. Luxey, A. Diallo, P. L. Thuc, and R. Staraj, "A novel isolation technique for closely spaced PIFAs for UMTS mobile phones," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 665-668, 2008.
17. Li, Z., K. Ito, Z. Du, and K. Gong, "Compact wideband printed diversity antenna for mobile handsets," Proc. 2010 Asia-Pacific Radio Science Conference, 1-4, Toyama, Japan, 2010.
18. Ling, X. and R. L. Li, "A novel dual-band MIMO antenna array with low mutual coupling for portable wireless devices," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1039-1042, 2008.
19. Su, S.-W., C.-T. Lee, and F.-S. Chang, "Printed MIMO-antenna system using neutralization-line technique for wireless USB-dongle applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 456-463, 2012.
20. See, C. H., R. A. Abd-Alhameed, Z. Z. Abidin, N. J. McEwan, and P. S. Excell, "Wideband printed MIMO/diversity monopole antenna for WiFi/WiMAX applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 4, 2028-2035, 2012.
21. Tounou, C., C. Decroze, D. Carsenat, T. Monédière, and B. Jécko, "Diversity antennas e±ciencies enhancement," IEEE Antennas Propagation International Symposium, 1064-1067, Honolulu, HI, 2007.
22. Kim, I., C. W. Jung, Y. Kim, and Y. E. Kim, "Low-profile wide-band MIMO antenna with suppressed mutual coupling between two antennas," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 5, 1336-1339, 2008.
23. Chou, H.-T., H.-C. Cheng, H.-T. Hsu, and L.-R. Kuo, "Investigations of isolation improvement techniques for multiple input multiple output (MIMO) WLAN portable terminal applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 85, 349-366, 2008.
24. Zuo, S., Y.-Z. Yin, W.-J. Wu, Z.-Y. Zhang, and J. Ma, "Investigations of reduction of mutual coupling between two planar monopoles using two λ/4 slots," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 19, 9-18, 2010.
25. Cui, S., Y. Liu, W. Jiang, S. X. Gong, Y. Guan, and S. T. Yu, "A novel compact dual-band MIMO antenna with high port isolation," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 11-12, 1645-1655, 2011.
26. Li, J.-F., Q.-X. Chu, and T.-G. Huang, "A compact wideband MIMO antenna with two novel bent slits," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 482-489, 2012.
27. Li, J.-F. and Q.-X. Chu, "A compact dual-band MIMO antenna of mobile phone," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 11-12, 1577-1586, 2011.
28. Blanch, S., J. Romeu, and I. Corbella, "Exact representation of antenna system diversity performance from input parameter description," Electronic Letters, Vol. 39, No. 9, 705-707, 2003.
29. Jensen, M. A. and Y. Rahmat-Sei, "Performance analysis of antennas for hand-held transceivers using FDTD," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 42, No. 8, 1106-1113, 1994.
30. Ko, S. C. K. and R. D.Murch, "Compact integrated diversity antenna for wireless communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 6, 954-960, 2001.