Large electrical systems or facilities can be satisfactorily shielded by using low-cost meshed metallic nets. Here the shielding effectiveness for two such planar meshes is calculated analytically and verified both experimentally by using cascaded reverberation chambers as well as numerically with results computed using a full wave electromagnetic solver. It is shown that all three methods agree and, in addition, that non-square shaped aperture meshes can be handled with an equivalent square area shaped aperture.
2. IEC Standard, 61000-1-5, "Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) --- Part 1-5: General --- High power electromagnetic (HPEM) effects on civil systems,", 2004.
3. Radasky, W., C. E. Baum, and M. W. Wik, "Introduction to the special issue on high-power electromagnetics (HPEM) and intentional electromagnetic interference (IEMI)," IEEE Trans. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 46, No. 3, 314-321, Aug. 2004.
4. URSI the Toronto General assembly, , Aug. 13-21, 1999, Accessible via http://ursiweb. intec.ugent.be/Resolutions/99%20Toronto%20Res%20Eng.doc.
5. Casey, K. F., "Electromagnetic shielding behavior of wire-mesh-screens," IEEE Trans. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 30, No. 3, Aug. 1988.
6. Lee, K. S. H., EMP Interaction: Principles, Techniques and Reference Data, Hemisphere Publishing Corp., Washington, 1986.
7. Backstrom, M. and O. Lunden, "Transmissions cross section of apertures measured by use of nested mode-stirred chambers,", FOA-R--96-00359-3.2--SE, Dec. 1996.
8. Hill, D., "Plane wave integral representation for fields in reverberation chambers," IEEE Trans. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 40, 209-217, Aug. 1998.
9. Backstrom, M., O. Lunden, and P. S. Kildal, "Reverberation chambers for EMC susceptibility and emission," Review of Radio Science, 429-451, Wiley-IEEE Press, 2002.
10. Martin, T. , M. Backstrom, and J. Loren, "Transmission cross section of apertures, determined by measurements and FDTD simulations," Proc. 12th International Zurich, Symposium and Technical Exhibition on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Feb. 18-20, 1997.
11., , www.ansoft.com/products/hf/hfss/, Available 2012-06-14.
12. Amitay, N., V. Galindo, and C. P. Wu, Theory and Analysis of Phased Array Antennas, Wiley-Interscience, New York, 1972.
13. Munk, B. A., Frequency Selective Surfaces: Theory and Design, John-Wiley, New York, 2000.
14. Holloway, C. , D. Hill, J. Ladbury, G. Koepke, and R. Garzia, "Shielding effectiveness measurements of materials using nested reverberation chambers," IEEE Trans. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 45, No. 2, 350-356, May 2003.
15. Primiani, V. M., F. Moglie, and A. P. Pastore, "Field penetration through a wire mesh screen excited by a reverberation chamber field: FDTD analysis and experiments," IEEE Trans. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 51, No. 4, 883-891, Nov. 2009.