This paper presents a rectifying antenna (rectenna) for the harvesting of the microwave energy associated to UHF (Ultra-High Frequency) Radio Frequency IDentification (RFID) systems. The proposed device uses a capacitively loaded T-shaped monopole with a coplanar waveguide feeding line as receiving antenna and a five-stage voltage multiplier as rectifier. Experimental results demonstrating an RF-to-DC conversion efficiency of about 54% with an input power density of 80 μW/cm2 will be presented and discussed.
2. Monti, G. , L. Tarricone, and M. Spartano, "X-band planar rectenna," Antenn. and Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1116-1119, 2011.
3. Heikkinen, J. and M. Kivikoski, "Low-profile circularly polarized rectifying antenna for wireless power transmission at 5.8 GHz," IEEE Microw. and Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 4, Apr. 2004.
4. Monti, G., L. Tarricone, and M. Spartano, "X-band planar rectenna," Antenn. and Wirel. Propag. Lett.,, Vol. 10, 1116-1119, 2011.
5. Ali, M. , G. Yang, and R. Dougal, "A new circularly polarized rectenna for wireless power transmission and data communication," IEEE Antenn. Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 4, 205-208, 2005.
6. Heikkinen, J. and M. Kivikoski, "A novel dual-frequency circularly polarized rectenna," IEEE Antenn. Wirel. Propag. Lett.,, Vol. 2, 330-333, 2003.
7. Strassner, B. and K. Chang, "Highly efficient C-band circularly polarized rectifying antenna array for wireless microwave power transmission," IEEE Trans. on Antenn. Propag., Vol. 51, No. 6, 1347-1356, Jun. 2003.
8. Tikhov, Y. , I.-J. Song, and Y.-H. Min, "Rectenna design for passive RFID transponders," Proc. of the 37th EUMC, Munich,Germany, Oct. 2007.
9. Chen, R. H., Y. C. Lee, and J. S. Sun, "Design and experiment of a rectifying antenna for 900MHz wireless power transmission," PIERS Proceedings, Beijing, China, Mar. 2009.
10. Seeman, K. and R. Weigel, "Ultra low power rectification in passive RFID tags at UHF frequencies," Frequenz, Vol. 59, 112-115, 2005.
11. Rizzoli, V., G. Bichicchi, A. Costanzo, F. Donzelli, and D. Masotti, "CAD of multi-resonator rectenna for micro-power generation," Proc. of the 4th EuMIC, Rome, Italy, Sep. 2009.
12. Congedo, F. , G. Monti, and L. Tarricone, "Broadband bowtie antenna for RF energy scavenging applications," Proc. of 4th EuCAP, 11-15, Rome, Apr. 2011.
13. Monti, G. and F. Congedo, "UHF rectenna using a bowtie antenn," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 26, 181-192, 2012.
14. Riviere, S. , F. Alicalapa, A. Douyere, and J.-D. Lan Sun Luk, "A compact rectenna device at low power level," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 16, 137-146, 2010.
15. Avago technologies, HSMS-285x Series Surface Mount Zero Bias Schottky Detector Diodes data sheet, retrieved in June 2012, , from www.avagotech.com/pages/home/.
16. Johanson technology, R15S (0805) S-Series, , Low ESR Capacitor Multi-Layer High-Q data sheet, retrieved in June 2012, from www.johansontechnology.com/.
17. Agilent, Advanced Design System brochure, , retrivied in June 2012, from www.agilent.com/find/eesof-ads.
18. Computer Simulation Technology, , www.cst.com/ [visited on June30, 2012].
19. Murata Europe, , www.murata.eu/.
20., , gnuradio.org/ [visited on June 30, 2012].
21. Ettus Research LLC, RFX-900 daughterboard product details, , retrieved in June 2012, form http://www.ettus.com.