This paper presented an estimation method of maximum effective isotropic radiated power (EIRP) and electro-magnetic field (EMF) strength of a wideband code-division multiple-access (WCDMA) base station based on over-the-air measurements of a pilot channel in a code domain. To verify the feasibility of the proposed method, we estimated the maximum EIRP and EMF strengths of the self-designed test base station, and compared them with EIRP and EMF values measured by the traditional test scheme. Then, we applied our estimation scheme to the inspection test for a commercial base station. The maximum difference between the estimated EIRP values from our method and the reported values is 1.3 dB. The estimated EMF results show more than 90% agreement with both the traditional EMF measurement value under a full-traffic load condition and the theoretical value. Therefore, it can be concluded that our proposed estimation method should be an effective inspection test for domestic base stations.
2. Bornkessel, C., M. Schubert, M. Wuschek, and P. Schmidt, "Measurement and calculation of general public electromagnetic exposure around GSM and UMTS cellular base stations," Proc. of the 2nd International ITG Conference on Antennas, INICA'07, 225-229, Mar. 2007.
3. Joseph, W. , C. Olivier, and L. Martens, "A robust, fast, and accurate deconvolution algorithm for EM-field measurements around GSM and UMTS base stations with a spectrum analyzer," IEEE Trans. on Instrumentation and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 6, 1163-1169, Dec. 2002.
4. Liu, Y. , Z. Liang, and Z. Yang, "Computation of electromagnetic dosimetry for human body using parallel FDTD algorithm combined with interpolation technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 95-107, 2008.
5. Hirata, A., H. Sugiyama, and O. Fujiwara, "Estimation of core temperature elevation in humans and animals for whole-body averaged SAR," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 99, 53-70, 2009.
6. Korea Radio Research Agency (RRA), Measurement Procedure for Electromagnetic Field Strength, RRA Notice 2010-46, Dec. 2010.
7. Swiss Agency for the Environment, "Basis for a UMTS measurement recommendation,", Forests and Landscape Report, Apr. 2004.
8. ITU-T Rec. K.61, "Guidance on Measurement and Numerical Prediction of Electromagnetic Fields for Compliance with Human Exposure Limits for Telecommunication Installations,", Feb. 2008.
9. Jang, B.-J. and H. Yoon, "Maximum EIRP and EMF measurements of WCDMA base station using a pilot channel," Proc. of 2011 Korea-Japan Microwave Conference, 286-289, Feb. 2011.
10. Molisch, A. F., Wireless Communications, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., 2005.
11. Meng, Y. S. and Y. H. Lee, "Investigations of foliage effect on modern wireless communication systems: A review," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 313-332, 2010.
12. Gemio, J., J. Parron, and J. Soler, "Human body effects on implantbale antennas for ISM bands applications: Models comparison and propagation losses study," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 110, 437-452, 2010.