In this article, a new hybrid algorithm based on Honey Bees Mating Optimization (HBMO) combined with the Tabu Search (TS) for null steering beamformer in adaptive antenna array is presented. The proposed method HBMO/TS is applied to a set of random cases to estimate the excitation weights of an antenna array that steer the main lobe towards a desired signal, place nulls towards several interference signals and achieve the lowest possible value of side lobe level. Moreover, the proposed algorithm is tested and compared with two other wellknown approaches that are the Least Mean Squares (LMS) and Genetic Algorithm (GA). The abovementioned methods have been performed considering uniform linear antenna array and achieved by controlling only the phase of each array element. Results obtained prove the effectiveness of our proposed approach HBMO/TS.
2. Mahanti, G. K., A. Chakrabarty, and S. Das, "Phase-only and amplitude-phase synthesis of dual-pattern linear antenna arrays using floating-point genetic algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 247-259, 2007.
3. Caorsi, S., F. DeNatale, M. Donelli, D. Franceschini, and A. Massa, "A versatile enhanced genetic algorithm for planar array design," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 11, 1533-1548, 2004.
4. Rocca, P., M. Donelli, A. Massa, and D. Franceschini, "Three-dimensional microwave imaging problems solved through an efficient multiscaling particle swarm optimization ," IEEE Trans. on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 47, 1467-1481, 2009.
5. Azaro, R., F. DeNatale, M. Donelli, E. Zeni, and A. Massa, "Synthesis of a prefractal dual-band monopolar antenna for GPS applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Prop. Letters, Vol. 5, No. 9, 361-364, 2006.
6. Li, W.-T., X.-W. Shi, and Y.-Q. Hei, "An improved particle swarm optimization algorithm for pattern synthesis of phased arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 319-332, 2008.
7. Boeringer, D. W. and D. H.Werner, "Particle swarm optimization versus genetic algorithms for phased array synthesis," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, 771-779, Mar. 2004.
8. Mahmoud, K. R., M. El-Adawy, S. M. M. Ibrahem, R. Bansal, and S. H. Zainud-Deen, "A comparison between circular and hexagonal array geometries for smart antenna systems using particle swarm optimization algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 75-90, 2007.
9. Lanza, M., J. R. Pérez, and J. Basterrechea, "Synthesis of planar arrays using a modified particle swarm optimization algorithm by introducing a selection operator and elitism," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 145-160, 2009.
10. Pérez, J. R. and J. Basterrechea, "Hybrid particle swarm-based algorithms and their application to linear array synthesis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 63-74, 2009.
11. Zaharis, Z. D. and T. V. Yioultsis, "A novel adaptive beamforming technique applied on linear antenna arrays using adaptive mutated boolean PSO," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 165-179, 2011.
12. Zaharis, Z. D., K. A. Gotsis, and J. N. Sahalos, "Adaptive beamforming with low side lobe level using neural networks trained by mutated boolean PSO," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 139-154, 2012.
13. Dib, N. I., S. K. Goudos, and H. Muhsen, "Application of Taguchi's optimization method and self-adaptive differential evolution to the synthesis of linear antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 159-180, 2010.
14. Mouhamadou, M., P. Vaudon, and M. Rammal, "Smart antenna array patterns synthesis: Null steering and multi-user beamforming by phase control," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 95-106, 2006.
15. Abbass, H. A., "Marriage in honey bees optimization (MBO): A haplometrosis polygynous swarming approach," The Congress on Evolutionary Computation, CEC, 207-214, 2001.
16. Bozorg Haddad, O., A. Afshar, and M. A. Mariño, "Honey-bees mating optimization (HBMO) algorithm: A new heuristic approach for water resources optimization," Water Resources Management, Vol. 20, 661-680, 2006.
17. Mohammad, F., A. Babak, and M. Ali, "Application of honey-bee mating optimization algorithm on clustering," Applied Mathematics and Computations, 1502-1513, 2007.
18. Amiri, B. and M. Fathian, "Integration of self organizing feature maps and honey bee mating optimization algorithm for market segmentation," Journal of Theoretical and Applied Information Technology, 70-86, 2007.
19. Fathian, M. and B. Amiri, "A honey bee mating approach for cluster analysis," International Journal of Advance Manufacturing and Technology, Vol. 38, 809-821, 2008.
20. Shayegi, H., H. A. Shayanfar, A. Jalili, and A. Ghasemi, "LFC design using HBMO technique in interconnected power system," International Journal on Technical and Physical Problems of Engineering (IJTPE), Vol. 2, 41-48, 2010.
21. Niknam, T., "A new HBMO algorithm for multiobjective daily Volt/Var control in distribution systems considering distributed generators," Applied Energy, Vol. 88, 778-788, 2011.
22. Niknam, T., J. Olamei, and R. Khorchidi, "A hybrid algorithm based on HBMO and fuzzy set for multi-objective distribution feeder reconfiguration," World Applied Science Journal, Vol. 4, 308-315, 2008.
23. Donelli, M., I. Craddock, D. Gibbons, and M. Sarafianou, "A three dimensional time domain microwave imaging method for breast cancer detection based on an evolutionary algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 18, 179-195, 2011.
24. Lehne, P. H. and M. Pettersen, "An overview of smart antenna technology for mobile communications systems," IEEE Communications Surveys, Vol. 2, 2-13, 1999.
25. Shaukat, S. F., M. Ul Hassan, R. Farooq, H. U. Saeed, and Z. Saleem, "Sequential studies of beamforming algorithms for smart antenna systems," World Applied Sciences Journal, Vol. 6, 754-758, 2009.
26. Godara, L. C., "Application of antenna arrays to mobile communications, Part II: Beamforming and direction-of-arrival considerations," Proc. of the IEEE, Vol. 85, 1193-1245, Aug. 1997.
27. Applebaum, S., "Adaptive arrays,", Technical Report SPL TR-66--001, Syracus University Corporation Corporation Report, 1965.