In this paper, we propose a method based on evolutionary computations for joint estimation of amplitude, Direction of Arrival and range of near field sources. We use memetic computing in which the problem starts with a global optimizer and ends up with a local optimizer for fine tuning. For this, we use Genetic algorithm and Simulated annealing as a global optimizer while Interior Point Algorithm as a rapid local optimizer. We set up Mean Square Error as a fitness evaluation function which defines an error between actual and estimated signal. This fitness function is optimum and is derived from Maximum likelihood. It requires only single snapshot to converge and does not require any permutations to link it with the angles found in the previous snapshot as in some other methods. The efficiency and reliability of the proposed scheme is tested on the basis of Monte-Carlo simulations and its inclusive statistical analysis.
2. Yang, P., F. Yang, and Z.-P. Nie, "DOA estimation with sub-array divided technique and interporlated esprit algorithm on a cylindrical conformal array antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 201-216, 2010.
3. Krim, H. and M. Viberg, "Two decades of array processing research: The parametric approach," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Vol. 13, No. 4, 67-94, July 1996.
4. Liang, J. , D. Liu, X. Zeng, W. Wang, J. Zhang, and H. Chen, "Joint azimuth-elevation/(-range) estimation of mixed near-¯eld and far-¯eld sources using two-stage separated steering vector-based algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 17-46, 2011.
5. Kim, J. H. , I. S. Yang, K. M. Kim, and W. T. Oh, "Passive ranging sonar based on multi-beam towed array," Proc. IEEE Oceans, Vol. 3, 1495-1499, September 2000.
6. Ziskind, I. and M. Wax, "Maximum likelihood localization of multiple sources by alternating projection," IEEE Trans. on Acoust., Speech, Signal Processing, Vol. 36, No. 10, 1553-1560, 1988.
7. Challa, R. N. and S. Shamsunder, "Higher-order subspace based algorithms for passive localization of near-field sources," Proceedings of the 29th Asilomar Conference on Signals, and System Computer, 777-781, Pacific Grove, CA, October 1995.
8. Emmanuele, G., A. M. Karim, and Y. Hua, "A weighted linear prediction method for near-Field source localization," IEEE Trans. on Signal Process., Vol. 10, 2005.
9. Raja, M. A. Z., J. A. Khan, and I. M. Qureshi, "Solution of fractional order system of bagley-torvik equation using evolutionary computational intelligence," Mathematical Problems in Engineering, Vol. 2011, 2011.
10. Khan, J. A., M. A. Z. Raja, and I. M. Qureshi, "Stochastic computational approach for complex nonlinear ordinary differential equations," Chinese Physics Letter, Vol. 28, 2011.
11. Zaman, F., I. M. Qureshi, A. Naveed, J. A. khan, and R. M. A. Zahoor, "Amplitude and directional of arrival estimation: Comparison between di®erent techniques," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 39, 319-335, 2012.
12. Zaman, F., I. M. Qureshi, A. Naveed, and Z. U. Khan, "Real time direction of arrival estimation in noisy environment using particle swarm optimization with single snapshot," Research Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology, Vol. 4, No. 13, 1949-1952, 2012.
13. Sastry, C. R., E. W. Kamen, and M. Simaan, "An efficient algorithm for tracking the angles of arrival of moving targets," IEEE Trans. on Signal Process., Vol. 39, No. 1, 242-246, 1991.
14. Wu, Y. T., Y. Dong, and G. S. Liao, "Jointly estimating both range and doa of near field source," Journal of Electronics, Vol. 21, 104-109, China, 2004.
15. Dantzig, G. B. and M. N. Thapa, Linear Programming 2: Theory and Extensions, Springer-Verlag, 2003.
16. Forsgren, A., P. E. Gill, and M. H. Wright, "Interior methods for nonlinear optimization," SIAM Review, Vol. 44, 525-597, 2002.
17. Granville, V., M. Krivanek, and J. Rasson, "Simulated annealing:A proof of convergence," IEEE Trans. on Pattern Anal. and Mach. IEEE Trans. on Pattern Anal. and Mach., Vol. 16, No. 6, 652-656, 1994.
18. De Vicente, J., J. Lanchares, and R. Hermida, "Placement by thermodynamic simulated annealing," Phys. Lett. A, Vol. 317, 415-423, 2003.
19. Addad, B., S. Amari, and J.-J. Lesage, "Genetic algorithms for delays evaluation in networked automation systems," Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence,, Vol. 24, 485-490, Elsevier, 2011.
20. Maulik, U., "Analysis of gene microarray data in a soft computing framework," Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, Elsevier, Signal Process , Vol. 24, 485-490, 2011.