This paper presents a compact microstrip stepped-impedance lowpass filter with ultra-wide stopband by using back-to-back C-shaped and triple C-shaped thin slots. The properties of several thin slots in the ground plane have been investigated in this paper. With the full-wave simulation results and a simplified equivalent model, the total equivalent inductance of the thin slots can be extracted at cutoff frequency for lowpass filter design purpose. On the other hand, the thin slots work as bandstop filter at the stopband of the lowpass filter for a better stopband rejection. The proposed lowpass filter with a cutoff frequency of 2 GHz shows a wide stopband with an over 25-dB attenuation up to 17.5 GHz. From dc to 2 GHz, the insertion loss is less than 0.3 dB and the return loss is greater than 20 dB. In comparison to the conventional stepped-impedance lowpass filter with the same passband performance, the proposed lowpass filter shows not only a 24.3% size reduction but also a better stopband rejection.
2. Li, L. and Z.-F. Li, "Compact quasi-elliptic lowpass filter using symmetric rectangular coupled capacitors," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 2, 124-125, Jan. 2008.
3. He, Q. and C. Liu, "A novel low-pass filter with an embedded band-stop structure for improved stop-band characteristics," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 10, 629-631, Oct. 2009.
4. Tu, W.-H. and K. Chang, "Microstrip elliptic-function low-pass filters using distributed elements or slotted ground structure," IEEE Trans. Microw Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 10, 3786-3792, Oct. 2006.
5. Wang, L., H.-C. Yang, and Y. Li, "Design of compact microstrip low-pass filter with ultra-wide stopband using sirs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 18, 179-186, 2010.
6. Yang, M., J. Xu, Q. Zhao, L. Peng, and G. Li, "Compact, broad-stopband lowpass filters using sirs-loaded circular hairpin resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 95-106, 2010.
7. Weng, L. H. , Y.-C. Guo, X.-W. Shi, and X.-Q. Chen, "An overview on defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 7, 173-189, 2008.
8. Chen, H.-J. , T.-H. Huang, C.-S. Chang, L.-S. Chen, N.-F. Wang, Y.-H. Wang, and M.-P. Houng, "A novel cross-shape DGS applied to design ultra-wide stopband low-pass ¯lters," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 5, 252-254, May 2006.
9. Al Sharkawy, M. H. , D. Abd El-Aziz, and E. G. Mahmoud, "A miniaturized lowpass/bandpass filter using double arrow head defected ground structure with centered etched ellipse," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 24, 99-107, 2011.
10. Wei, F., L. Chen, X.-W. Shi, Q.-L. Huang, and X.-H. Wang, "Compact lowpass filter with wide stop-band using coupled-line hairpin unit," Electron. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 1, 88-90, Jan. 2010.
11. Lim, J.-S., C.-S. Kim, D. Ahn, Y.-C. Jeong, and S. Nam, "Design of low-pass filters using defected ground structure," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 8, 2539-2545, Aug. 2005.
12. Xi, D., Y.-Z. Yin, L.-H. Wen, Y. Mo, and Y. Wang, "A compact low-pass filter with sharp cutoff and low insertion loss characteristic using novel defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 17, 133-143, 2010.
13. Balalem, A., A. R. Ali, J. Machac, and A. Omar, "Quasi-elliptic microstrip low-pass filters using an interdigital DGS slot," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 8, 586-588, Aug. 2007.
14. Yang, J. and W. Wu, "Compact elliptic-function low-pass filter using defected ground structure," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 9, 578-580, Sept. 2008.
15. Chen, J., Z.-B.Weng, Y.-C. Jiao, and F.-S. Zhang, "Lowpass filter design of Hilbert curve ring defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 269-280, 2007.
16. Wang, C.-J. and T. H. Lin, "A multi-band meandered slotted-groundplane resonator and its application of lowpass filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 249-262, 2011.
17. Ahn, D., J.-S. Park, C.-S. Kim, J. Kim, Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A design of the low-pass filter using the novel microstrip defected ground structure," IEEE Trans. Microw Theory Tech., Vol. 49, No. 1, 86-93, Jan. 2001.
18. Hong, J.-S. and B. M. Karyamapudi, "A general circuit model for defected ground structures in planar transmission lines," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 10, 706-708, Oct. 2005.
19., , IE3D Version 11.1, Zeland Software Inc., Dec. 2005.
20. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, Wiley, New York, 2001.