A new type of low-profile frequency selective surface (FSS) with an overall thickness of λ/40 and a second-order band pass frequency response is presented. The proposed FSS is composed of two metal layers, separated by a thin dielectric substrate. Each layer is a two-dimensional periodic structure with sub-wavelength periodic unit cells. By printing the same topology on each side of the substrate, a second-order frequency response is realized. To provide a physical insight into the operating mechanism, equivalent circuit networks are also investigated in each step of design procedure. Using the proposal technique, low profile and reduced sensitivity to angle of incident wave for both TE and TM polarizations are obtained and the overall thickness of the substrate is fairly thin. FSS samples are designed, fabricated, and installed in waveguide operating at X-band and a good agreement between the simulated and measured results is achieved.
2. Islam, S., J. Stiens, G. Poesen, R. Vounckx, J. Peeters, I. Bogaert, D. De Zutter, and W. De Raedt, "Simulation and experimental verification of W-band finite frequency selective surfaces on infinite background with 3D full wave solver nspwmlfma," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 189-202, 2010.
3. Zhang, J.-C., Y.-Z. Yin, and J.-P. Ma, "Design of narrow band-pass frequency selective surfaces for millimeter wave applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 96, 287-298, 2009.
4. Martinez-Lopez, R., J. Rodriguez-Cuevas, A. E. Martynyuk, and J. I. Martinez Lopez, "An active ring slot with RF MEMS switchable radial stubs for reconfigurable frequency selective surface applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 419-440, 2012.
5. Munk, B., Finite Antenna Arrays and FSS, Wiley-Interscience, New York, 2003.
6. Huang, J. , T. Wu, and S. Lee, "Tri-band frequency selective surface with circular ring elements," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 42, 166-175, 1994.
7. Li, H., B.-Z. Wang, G. Zheng, W. Shao, and L. Guo, "A reflectarray antenna backed on FSS for low RCS and high radiation performances," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 15, 145-155, 2010.
8. Lima, A. C. D. C. and E. A. Parker, "Fabry-Perot approach to the design of double layer FSS," IEEE Proc. Microwave Antennas Propagat., Vol. 143, 157-162, 1996.
9. Munk, B., R. Kouyoumjian, and L. Peters Jr., "Reflection properties of periodic surfaces of loaded dipoles," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 19, 612-617, Sep. 1971.
10. Monavar, F. M. and N. Komjani, "Bandwidth enhancement of microstrip patch antenna using Jerusalem cross-shaped frequency microstrip patch antenna using Jerusalem cross-shaped frequency selective surfaces by invasive weed optimization approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 103-120, 2011.
11. Sarabandi, K. and N. Behdad, "A frequency selective surface with miniaturized elements," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 55, 2007.
12. Behdad, N. and M. Al-Joumayly, "A low-profile third-order band-pass frequency selective surface," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 57, 2009.
13. Teo, P., et al., "Frequency-selective surfaces for GPS and DCS1800 mobile communication. 1. Quad-layer and single-layer FSS design," Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, IET, Vol. 1, 314-321, 2007.
14. Behdad, N., "A second-order band-pass frequency selective surface using nonresonant subwavelength periodic structure," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, 1639-1643, 2008.
15. Pirhadi, A., et al., "Analysis and design of dual band high directive EBG resonator antenna using square loop FSS as superstrate layer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 1-20, 2007.
16. Guo, C., et al., "A novel dualband frequency selective surface with periodic cell perturbation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 9, 137-149, 2008.
17. Gustafsson, M. and S. Nordebo, "Bandwidth, Q factor, and resonance models of antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 62, 1-20, 2006.
18. Langley, R. J. and E. A. Parker, "Equivalent-circuit model for arrays of square loops," Electron. Letters, Vol. 18, 294-296, 1982.
19. Pozar, D., Microwave Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, Wiley, New York, 2008.
20. Marcuvitz, N., Waveguide Handbook, Boston Technical Publishers, Lexington, MA, 1964.