A dielectric resonator loaded patch antenna excited by a coaxial cable is proposed in this paper. The results from measurement show a wide impedance bandwidth of 57.1% from 3.75 GHz to 6.75 GHz and a peak gain of 11.5 dB at the center of frequency band with an average gain improvement of 3 dB over the frequency band in comparison with the common dielectric resonator antennas. These results are in good agreement with those obtained by the computer simulations. A simple study of the antenna shows that the aperture size increase is the cause of gain enhancement. A theoretical model based on the simulated gain results of reference antenna and its equivalent aperture is presented for the proposed antenna structure with good agreement with simulation and measurement results. The advantages of the proposed antenna are high gain with broad bandwidth, and low fabrication cost in comparison to other types of high gain DRAs having narrow bandwidths and complex structures.
2. Song, Y. and A. R. Sebak, "Radiation pattern of aperture coupled prolate hemispheroidal dielectric resonator antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 58, 115-133, 2006.
3. Tadjalii, A., A. Sebak, and T. A. Denidni, "Resonance frequencies and far field patterns of elliptical dielectric resonator antenna: Analytical approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 81-98, 2006.
4. Al-Zoubi, A. S., A. A. Kishk, and A. W. Glisson, "Analysis and design of a rectangular dielectric resonator antenna fed by dielectric image line through narrow slots," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 379-390, 2007.
5. Fayad, H. and P. Record, "Multi-feed dielectric resonator antenna with reconfigurable radiation pattern," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 341-356, 2007.
6. Moradi, K. and S. Nikmehr, "A dual-band dual-polarized microstrip array antenna for base stations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 527-541, 2012.
7. Peng, H.-L. , W.-Y. Yin, J.-F. Mao, D. Huo, X. Hang, and L. Zhou, "A compact dual-polarized broadband antenna with hybrid beam-forming capabilities," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 118, 253-271, 2011.
8. Xu, H.-Y., H. Zhang, K. Lu, and X.-F. Zeng, "A holly-leaf-shaped monopole antenna with low RCS for UWB application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 35-50, 2011.
9. Fan, Z. and Y. M. M. Antar, "Slot-coupled DR antenna for dual-frequency operation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 45, 306-308, 1997.
10. Rezaei, P., M. Hakkak, and K. Forooraghi, "Design of wide-band dielectric resonator antenna with a two-segment structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 111-124, 2006.
11. Cooper, M., A. Petosa, A. Ittipiboon, and J. S. Wight, "Investigation of dielectric resonator antennas for L-Band communications," Antenna Technology and Applied Electromagnetics Symposium, ANTEM' 96, 167-170, Ottawa, Canada, 1996.
12. Luk, K. M., M. T. Lee, K. W. Leung, and E. K. N. Yung, "Technique for improving coupling between microstripline and dielectric resonator antenna ," Electronics Letters, Vol. 35, No. 5, 357-358, 1999.
13. Lapierre, M., Y. M. M. Antar, A. Ittipiboon, and A. Petosa, "Ultra wideband monopole/dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Microw. Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 1, 7-9, 2005.
14. Ahmed, O. M. H., A. R. Sebak, and T. Denidni, "Size reduction and bandwidth enhancement of a UWB hybrid dielectric resonator antenna for short range wireless communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 19, 19-30, 2010.
15. Chow, K. Y., K. W. Leung, K. M. Luk, and E. K. N. Yung, "Cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna array," Electronics Letters, Vol. 34, No. 13, 1283-1285, 1998.
16. Jamaluddin, M. H., R. Sauleau, X. Castel, R. Benzerga, L. Le Coq, R. Gillard, and T. Koleck, "Design, fabrication and characterization of a dielectric resonator antenna reflect array in ka-band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 25, 261-275, 2010.
17. Wee, F. H., F. Malek, S. Sreekantan, A. U. Al-Amani, F. Ghani, and K. Y. You, "Investigation of the characteristics of barium strontium titanate (BST) dielectric resonator ceramic loaded on array antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 181-213, 2011.