In this paper, an ultra-wideband (UWB) printed dipole antenna with semicircular dipoles is presented. A balanced microstrip line is used for feeding the dipole antenna. By introducing the loading disc, an ultra wide frequency band from 3.2 GHz to 15.6 GHz with VSWR < 2 is obtained. Through analyzing the surface current of the antenna, the equivalent array radiation models of standing wave current and traveling wave current are obtained. These models can well explain the antenna's radiation characteristic, which matches measured results well.
2. Adamiuk, G. , L. Zwirello, S. Beer, and T. Zwick, "Omnidirec-tional, dual-orthogonal, linearly polarized UWB antenna," Euro-pean Microwave Conference (EuMC), 854-857, 2010.
3. Nair, S. M., V. A. Shameena, R. Dinesh, and P. Mohanan, "Compact semicircular directive dipole antenna for UWB applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. Electron, 1260-1262, 2011.
4. Wu, Q., R. H. Jin, J. P. Geng, and D. L. Su, "On the performance of printed dipole antenna with novel composit corrugated-reflectors for low-profile ultrawideband applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, 3839-3846, 2010.
5. Nazli, H., E. B³»cak, B. TÄuretken, and M. Sezgin, "An improved design of planar elliptical dipole antenna for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters,, Vol. 9, 264-267, 2010.
6. Li, , M. and K.-M. Luk, "A differentially-fed magneto-electric dipole antenna for UWB applications," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings (APMC), 1953-1956, 2011.
7. Aboufoul, , T., , A. Alomainy, and C. Parini, "Reconfiguring UWB monopole antenna for cognitive radio applications using GaAs FET switches," EEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 392-394, 2012.
8. Fereidoony, F., S. Chamaani, and S. A. Mirtaheri, "UWB monopole antenna with stable radiation pattern and low transient distortion," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 302-305, 2011.
9. Simons, R. N., R. Q. Lee, and T. D. Perl, "Non-planar linearly tapered slot antenna with balanced microstrip feed," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 4, 2109-2112, Chicago, 1992.
10. Lu, , W.-J., Y. Cheng, and H.-B. Zhu, "Design concept of a novel balanced ultra-wideband (UWB) antenna," IEEE International Conference on Ultra-Wideband (ICUWB), Vol. 1, 1-4, 2010.