This paper presents an integrated millimeter-wave (mmW) low noise amplifier (LNA) which is implemented by using 0.15-μm baseline GaAs pHEMT technology. The design utilized modified co-planar waveguide (CPW) to perform a slow wave transmission line (TLine) with electromagnetic band gap (EBG) ground structures for the input/output matching networks. The low noise V-band LNA chip size was hence reduced by adopting the new EBG transmission lines. The developed amplifier exhibited a noise figure of 6.21 dB, and a peak gain of 17.3 dB at 66 GHz. Additionally, the amplifier has linear characteristics and its measured third-order intercept (IIP3) point is greater than -0.5 dBm a dc power consumption of 75 mW.
2. Yang, B., X. F. Jin, X. M. Zhang, H. Chi, and S. L. Zheng, "Photonic generation of 60 GHz millimeter-wave by frequency quadrupling based on a mode-locking SOA fiber ring laser with a low modulation depth MZM," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 13, 1773-1782, Jan. 2010.
3. Liu, Y., J. Xu, Y.-Y. Wei, X. Xu, F. Shen, M. Huang, T. Tang, W.-X. Wang, Y.-B. Gong, and J. Feng, "Design of a V-band high-power sheet-beam coupled-cavity traveling-wave tube," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 31-45, 2012.
4. Chowdhury, D., P. Reynaert, and A. M. Niknejad, "A 60 GHz 1V +12:3dBm transformer-coupled wideband PA in 90nm CMOS," ISSCC Dig. Tech. Papers, 560-561, Feb. 2008.
5. Moghadasi, S. M., A. R. Attari, and M. M. Mirsalehi, "Compact and wideband 1-D mushroom-like EBG filters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 83, 323-333, 2008.
6. Agilent Technologies, "Noise figure measurement accuracy --- The Y-factor method,", Application Note 57-2, Mar. 2004.
7. Pellerano, S., et al., "A 64 GHz LNA with 15.5 dB Gain and 6.5 dB in 90nm CMOS," IEEE Journal of Solid State Circuit, Vol. 43, No. 7, 1542-1552, Jul. 2008.
8. Varonen, M., M. KÄarkkÄainen, and K. A. I. Halonen, "Millimeter-wave ampli¯ers in 65-nm CMOS," Eur. Solid-State Circuit Conf., 280-283, Sep. 2007.
9. Lin, J.-J., K.-H. To, B. Brown, D. Hammock, M. Majerus, M. Tutt, and W. M. Huang, "Wideband PA and LNA for 60-GHz radio in 90-nm LP CMOS technology," Compound Semicond. Integr. Circuits Symp., 1-4, Oct. 2008.
10. Doan, C. H., S. Emami, A. M. Niknejad, and R. W. Brodersen, "Millimeter-wave CMOS design," IEEE Journal of Solid State Circuit, Vol. 40, No. 1, 144-155, Jan. 2005.
11. Fujii, K. , M. Adamski, P. Bianco, D. Gunyan, J. Hall, R. Kishimura, C. Lesko, M. Schefer, S. Hessel, H. Morkner, and A. Niedzwiecki, "A 60 GHz MMIC chipset for 1-Gbith/s wireless links," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 3, 1725-1728, Jun. 2-7, 2002.
12. Handa, S., E. Suematsu, H. Tanaka, Y. Motouchi, M. Yagura, A. Yamada, and H. Sato, "60 GHz-band low noise amplifier and power ampli¯er using InGaP/GaAs HBT technology," 25th Annual Technical Digest IEEE Gallium Arsenide Integrated Circuit (GaAs IC) Symposium, 227-230, 2003.
13. Onodera, K. , S. Sugitani, K. Nishimura, and M. Tokumitsu, "V-band monolithic low-noise amplifiers using ion-implanted n+-self-aligned GaAs MESFET's," IEEE Microw. Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 9, No. 4, 148-150, Feb. 1999.
14. Luo, S.-M., R.-Y. Hung, S.-H. Weng, Y.-L. Ye, C.-N. Chuang, C.-H. Lin, and H.-Y. Chang, "24-GHz MMIC development using 0.15-¹m GaAs PHEMT process for automotive radar applications," IEEE Asia Pacific Microwave Conf., APMC, 2008.
15. Ahsan, N., J. Dabrowski, and A. Ouacha, "A self-tuning technique for optimization of dual band LNA," Proc. of the 1st European Wireless Technology Conf., EuWiT, 2008.