The use of Radio Frequency IDentification (RFID) technology in a large array of contexts is a matter of fact. In many cases, such as in robotic applications, the RFID tags should satisfy specific requisites so that read range, platform robustness, radiation properties, cost, and size must be properly taken into account during the design phase. In this work, the specific requirements of tags for RFID-assisted localization and navigation of mobile robots are highlighted and discussed. On such basis, an ad-hoc platform-robust RFID tag is designed, realized and exhaustively tested through both simulations and measurements. The achieved results are impressive and demonstrate the appropriateness of the proposed tag to operate in application scenarios where performance stability is mandatory.
2. EPC Radio-Frequency Identity Protocols Class-1 Generation-2 UHF RFID, Protocol for Communications at 860-960 MHz, , Version 1.2.0.
3. Finkenzeller, K., RFID Handbook, 2nd Ed., Wiley, New York, 2003.
4. Cho, C., D. Kim, H. Choo, and I. Park, "Effect of the substrate, metal-line and surface material on the performance of RFID tag antenna," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2007.
5. Catarinucci , L., R. Colella, M. De Blasi, L. Patrono, and L. Tarricone, "Experimental performance evaluation of passive UHF RFID tags in electromagnetically critical supply chains," Journal of Communications Software and Systems, Vol. 7, No. 2, 59-70, 2011.
6. Hahnel, D., W. Burgard, D. Fox, K. Fishkin, and M. Philipose, "Mapping and localization with RFID technology," IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, 2004.
7. Joho, D., C. Plagemann, and W. Burgard, "Modeling RFID signal strength and tag detection for localization and mapping," IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, 2009.
8. Catarinucci, L., D. De Donno, M. Guadalupi, F. Ricciato, L. Tarricone, "Performance analysis of passive UHF RFID tags with GNU-radio," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, 541-544, Spokane, USA, 2011.
9. De Donno, D., L. Catarinucci, R. Colella, F. Ricciato, and L. Tarricone, "Differential RCS and sensitivity calculation of RFID tags with software-defined radio," Proceedings of the IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium, Santa Clara, USA, 2012.
10. Catarinucci, L. , D. De Donno, R. Colella, F. Ricciato, and L. Tar-ricone, "A cost-effective SDR platform for performance characterization of RFID tags," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 61, No. 4, 2012.
11. Hoenshel, A. S. and R. Mittra, "A parametric study of platform tolerance of RFID tag antennas and their performance enhancement with artificial magnetic conductors," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, June 2007.
12. Kim, D. and J. Yeo, "Low-profile RFID tag antenna using compact AMC substrate for metallic objects," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 718-720, 2008.
13. Liu, Y., K. M. Luk, and H. C. Yin, "A RFID tag metal antenna on a compact HIS substrate," Progress In Electromagnetic Research Letters, Vol. 18, 51-59, 2010.
14. Hirvonen, M., K. Jaakkola, P. Pursula, and J. Saily, "Dual-band platform tolerant antennas for radio-frequency identi¯cation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 9, 2632-2637, 2006.
15. Huynh, M. C. and W. Stutzman, "Ground plane effects on planar inverted-F antenna (PIFA) performance," Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng. Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 150, No. 4, 209-213, 2003.
16. Sten, , J. C. E. and M. Hirvonen, "Decay of ground plane currents of small antenna elements," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 4, 82-84, 2005.
17. Antoszkiewicz, K. and L. Shafai, "Impedance characteristics of circular microstrip patches," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 38, 942-946, 1990.
18. Catarinucci, L. , S. Tedesco, and L. Tarricone, "On the use of UHF RFID antenna systems customized for robotic applications," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, Chicago, USA, 2012.
19. Genovesi, S. and A. Monorchio, "\Low-Profile three-arm folded dipole antenna for UHF Band RFID tags mountable on metallic objects," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 1225-1228, 2010.
20., , http://www.impinj.com/Monza 3 RFID Tag Chips.aspx.
21., , http://www.cst.com/.
22. Bourdi, T., J. E. Rhazi, F. Boone, and G. Ballivy, "Application of jonscher model for the characterization of the dielectric permittivity of concrete," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 41, No. 20, 1-9, 2008.