In this paper, novel composite right/left-handed (CRLH) leaky-wave antennas based on folded substrate-integrated-waveguide (FSIW) structures are proposed. The proposed leaky-wave antennas were realized by periodically loading the radiating slots on the top metallization of the FSIW-based CRLH transmission lines. The structural advantages of the FSIW combined with the unique dispersion characteristics of the CRLH transmission line enable the proposed leaky-wave antennas to present continuous beam-scanning capability from backfire to endfire directions, occupy smaller footprint size, and provide more design flexibility than the conventional CRLH leaky-wave antennas. Two of such CRLH leaky-wave antennas were developed. In addition to the continuous beam scanning, it is found that the radiation efficiency and polarization of the FSIW-based leaky-wave antennas can be easily tuned by means of the slot size and slot orientation, respectively, indicating their potential for versatile applications. Calculated and experimental results are presented and compared. A good agreement is obtained. To the best of our knowledge, it is the first time that the leaky-wave antenna exploits both of the dispersion behavior of the CRLH transmission lines and the structural benefits of the FSIW configuration.
2. Oliner, , A. A., "A periodic-structure negative-refractive-index medium without resonant elements," IEEE AP-S/URSI Int. Symp.,, Vol. 41, 2002.
3. Elefttheriades, , G. V., K. G. Balmain, and , Negative Refraction Metamaterials: Fundamental Properties and Applications, John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
4. Caloz, , C. , T. Itoh, and , Electromagnetic Metamaterials, Wiley, New York, 2005.
5. Caloz, , C. , T. Itoh, and , "Transmission line approach of left-handed (LH) materials and microstrip implementation of an artificial LH transmission line," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 5, 1159-1166, 2004.
6. Eleftheriades, G. V., , A. K. Iyer, and P. C. Kremer, "Planar negative refractive index media using periodically L-C loaded transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech.,, Vol. 50, No. 12, 2702-2712, , 2002.
7. Decoopman, , T., , A. Marteau, E. Lheurette, O. Vanbesien, and D. Lippens, "Left-handed electromagnetic properties of split-ring resonator and wire loaded transmission line in a fin-line technology," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 4, 1451-1457, 2006..
8. Hrabar, S., , J. Bartolic, and Z. Sipus, "Waveguide miniaturization using uniaxial negative permeability metamaterial," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. , Vol. 53, No. 1, 110-119, 2005.
9. Dong, , Y. D., T. Itoh, and , "Composite right/left-handed substrate integrated waveguide leaky-wave antennas," 39th Eur. Microw. Conf., , 276-279, 2009.
10. Ishimaru, A., , "Electromagnetic Wave Propagation, Radiation, and Scattering,", 1991.
11. Oliner, , A., "Chapter leaky-wave antennas," Antenna Engineering Handbook, 1993.
12. Lim, , S., , C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Electronically scanned composite right/left handed microstrip leaky-wave antenna," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 6, 277-279, 2004.
13. Lim, , S., , C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Metamaterial-based electronically controlled transmission-line structure as a novel leaky-wave antenna with tunable radiation angle and beamwidth," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 1, 161-173, 2005.
14. Casares-Miranda, , F. P., , C. Camacho-Penalosa, and C. Caloz, "High-gain active composite right/left-handed leaky-wave an-tenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. , No. ,", Vol. 54, No. 8, 2292-2300, 2006.
15. Yang, N., , C. Caloz, and K. Wu, , "Full-space scanning periodic phase-reversal leaky-wave antenna," IEEE Trans. Microw Theory, Vol. 58, No. 10, 2619-2632, , 2010..
16. Cheng, , Y. J., W. Hong, K. Wu, and Y. Fan, "Millimeter-wave substrate integrated waveguide long slot leaky-wave antennas and two-dimensional multibeam applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag.,, Vol. 59, No. 1, 40-47, 2011.
17. Chen, P., , W. Hong, Z. Kuai, and J. Xu, "A substrate integrated waveguide circular polarized slot radiator and its linear array," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 8, 120-123, 2009.
18. Zhai, , G. H., , W. Hong, K. Wu, J. X. Chen, P. Chen, J. Wei, and H. J. Tang, "Folded half mode substrate integrated waveguide 3 dB coupler," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 8, , 101-103, , 2008.
19. Che, , W., , L. Geng, K. Deng, and Y.-L. Chow, , "Analysis and experiments of compact folded substrate-integrated waveguide," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech.,, Vol. 56, No. 1, , 88-93, 2008.
20. Josefsson, , L. G., "Analysis of longitudinal slots in rectangular waveguides," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 35, No. 12, 1351-1357, 1987.
21. Joseffsson, , L., "A waveguide transverse slot for array applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 41, No. 7, 1351-1357, 1993.
22. Elliott, , R. S., , "An improved design procedure for small arrays of shunt slots," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 31, No. 1, 48-53, , 1983.
23. Park, , S., , Y. Okajima, J. Hirokawa, and M. Ando, , "A slotted post-wall waveguide array with interdigital structure for 45 linear and dual polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 9, 2865-2871, , 2005.
24. Kim, , D.-Y., , W. Chung, C. Park, S. Lee and S. Nam, , "Design of a 45±-inclined SIW resonant series slot array antenna for Ka-band," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 2011.
25. Chen, Y. J., , W. Hong, and K. Wu, "Millimeter-wave half mode substrate integrated waveguide frequency scanning antenna with quadric-polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 6, 1848-1855, , 2010.
26. Park, , S., , J. Hirokawa, and M. Ando, "Simple analysis of a slot with a re°ection-canceling post in a rectangular waveguide using only the axial uniform currents on the post surface," IEICE Trans. Commun., Vol. E86-B, No. 8, 2482-2487, 2003.