Wideband Circularly polarized antenna receive much attention in the wireless communication applications such as Global positioning system (GPS) and Personal communication system (PCS). In this paper, a microstrip square patch, truncated in opposite corners, suspended above the ground plane is proposed. The geometry incorporates the capacitive feed strip which is fed by a coaxial probe. The proposed structure is designed, simulated and fabricated to cover the entire frequency of GPS, i.e., L1 (1.575 GHz), L2 (1.227 GHz), and L5 (1.176 GHz), covering from (1.15 GHz-1.6 GHz). The parameters such as return loss, VSWR, impedance, radiation efficiency axial ratio and radiation pattern are used for analyzing the performance of the antenna. Both simulated and experimental results are presented and they exhibit broadband characteristics, covering the desired frequency bands.
2. Kasabegoudar, V. G. and K. J. Vinoy, "Coplanar capacitive fed microstrip antenna for wideband applications," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 10, 3131-3138, 2010.
3. Solanki, M. R., K. Usha Kiran, and K. J. Vinoy, "Broadband design of a triangular microstrip antenna with a capacitive feed," Journal of Microwaves, Optoelectronics and Electromagnetic Applications , Vol. 7, No. 8, 44-53, 2008.
4. Kasabegowdar, V. G. and K. J. Vinoy, "A wideband microstrip antenna with symmetric radiation pattern," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50 , No. 8, 1991-1995, 2008.
5. Yang, S. S., K.-F. Lee, A. A. Kishk, and K.-M. Luk, "Design and study of single fed wideband circularly polarized microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 45-61, 2008.
6. Kasabegowdar, V. G. and K. J. Vinoy, "A broadband suspended microstrip antenna for circular polarization," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 90, 353-368, 2009.
7. Kasabegowdar, V. G., "Low profifile suspended microstrip antennas for wideband applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 13, 1795-1806, 2011.
8. Rao, P. N. and N. V. S. N. Sarma, "A single feed circularly polarized fractal shaped microstrip antenna with fractal slot," PIERS Proceedings, 95-197, Hangzhou, China, Mar. 24-28, 2008.
9. Murugan, S. and V. Rajamani, "Design of wideband circularly polarised capacitive fed microstrip antenna," Int. Conf. on Communication Technology and System Design, ICCTSD, 382-389, Procedia Engineering, Dec. 7-9, 2011.
10. Padros, N., J. L. Ortgosu, and J. Baker, "Comparative study of high performance GPS receiving antenna designs," EEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 4, 698-706, 1997.
11. Tranquilla, J. M. and S. R. Best, "A study of Quadrafilar Helix antenna for global position systems applications," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 38, No. 10, 1545-1550, 1990.
12. Boccia, L., G. Amendola, and G. D. Mossa, "A shorted elliptical patch antenna for GPS applications," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2, No. 1, 6-8, 2003.
13. Boccia, L., "A Dual frequency microstrip antenna for high precision GPS applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 3, No. 1, 157-160, 2004.
14. Wang, Y.-S. and S.-J. Chung, "A miniature quadrafilar helix antenna for global positioning satellite reception," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 12, 3746-3751, 2009.
15. Serra, A. A., P. Nepa, G. Manara, and R. Massini, "A low profile linearly polarised 3D PIFA for handheld GPS terminals," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 4, 1060-1066, 2010.
16. Scire-Scappuzzo, F. and S. N. Markov, "A Low profile multipath wideband GPS antenna with cutoff or non-cutoff corrugated ground planes," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 1, 33-46, 2009.
17. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, 2003.
18. Bhal, I. J. and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, 1980.
19. Bird, T. S., "Definition and misuse of return loss," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Apr. 2009.