This paper reports algorithm and technique for the accurate phase calibration in order to measure current and voltage waveforms at the terminals of two-port microwave devices. The calibration approach presented in this paper does not require any multi-harmonic coherent signal generator and golden standard, reported in earlier papers, thus allowing the system to be more reliable, generic and accurate. The results achieved using the reported calibration algorithm on a developed measurement setup shows good agreement with those obtained on a standard commercial scope. In the end, it has been shown that the developed algorithm and measurement setup can be adapted for carrying out waveform engineering which clearly identifies the application of this work in the characterization and measurement of microwave devices.
2. El-Deeb, , W. S., , M. S. Hashmi, S. Bensmida, N. Boulejfen, and F. M. Ghannouchi, "Thru-less calibration algorithm and measurement system for on-wafer large-signal characterization of microwave devices," IET Microwaves, Antenna and Propagation , Vol. 4, No. 11, 1773-1781, , 2010..
3. Hashmi, , M. S., , A. L. Clarke, S. P. Woodington, J. Lees, J. Benedikt, and P. J. Tasker, "An accurate calibrate-able multi-harmonic active load-pull system based on the envelope load-pull concept," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques , Vol. 58, No. 3, 656-664, 2010.
4. Hashmi, , M. S., A. L. Clarke, P. J. Helaoui, P. J. Tasker, and F. M. Ghannouchi, "Agile harmonic envelope load-pull system enabling reliable and rapid device characterization," Measurement Science and Technology, Vol. 21, No. 5, 1-9, 2010.
5. Ramadan, , A., , T. Reveyrand, A. Martin, J. M. Nebus, P. Bouysse, L. Lapierre, J. F. Villemazet, and S. Forestier, "Experimental study on e®ect of second-harmonic injection at input of classes of F and F-1 GaN power amplifiers," IET Electronic Letter, Vol. 46, No. 8, 570-572, , 2010.
6. Ghannouchi, , F. M. , M. S. Hashmi, and , "Experimental investigation of the uncontrolled higher harmonic impedances effects on the performance of high power microwave devices," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 11, 2480-2482, 2010.
7. Raab, , F. H., , "Class-F power amplifiers with maximally flat waveforms," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques,, Vol. 45, No. 11, 2007-2012, , 1997.
8. Rhodes, , J. D., , "Output universality in maximum e±ciency in linear power amplifier," International Journal on Circuit Theory and Applications, Vol. 31, 385-405, 2003.
9. Agilent Application Note, , "Applying error correction to network analyzer measurements,", 1998.
10. Bousnina, , S., C. Falt, P. Mandeville, A. B. Kouki, and F. M. Ghannouchi, "An accurate on-wafer deembedding technique with application to HBT devices characterization ," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 420, No. 424, 50-2, 2002.
11. Wei, , C. J., , Y. A. Tkachenko, and D. Bartle, "Waveform measurement technique and its applications to optimum loading studies on power FETS," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, 666-669, 2002.
12. Kompa, , G. , F. van Raay, and , "Error-corrected large-signal waveform measurement system combining network analyzer and sampling oscilloscope capabilities," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 38, No. 4, 358-365, 1990..
13. Lott, , U., "Measurement of magnitude and phase of harmonics generated in nonlinear microwave two-ports," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 37, No. 10, 1506-1511, 1989..
14. Sipila, M., , K. Lehtinen, and V. Porra, , "High-frequency periodic time-domain waveform measurement system," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 36, No. 10, 1397-1405, 1988.
15. Williams, , D. J. , P. J. Tasker, and , "An automated active source and load-pull measurement system," Proc. 6th IEEE High Frequency Student Colloquium, 7-12, 2001.
16. Blockley, P. S., J. G. Rathmell, and , "Towards generic calibration," 65th Spring ARFTG Conference Digest, 1-5, , 2005.
17. Wei, , C. J., , Y. A. Tkachenko, and D. Bartle, , "Waveform measurement technique and its applications to optimum loading studies on power FETS," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, 666-669, 2002.
19. Stancliff , R. B. , D. P. Poulin, and , "Harmonic load-pull," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, , 185-187, 1979..
20. Gallium Nitride 28 V, 5W RF Power Transistor, NPTB00004, , 2009, .
21. Takayama, , Y., "A new load-pull characterization method for microwave power transistors," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, , 218-220, 1976.
22. Le, , D.-L. , F. M. Ghannouchi, and , "Multi-tone characterization and design of FET resistive mixers based on combined active source-pull/load-pull techniques," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 46, No. 9, 1201-1208, 1998.
23. Ghannouchi, , F. M., , M. S. Hashmi, S. Bensmida, and M. Helaoui, "Loop enhanced passive source- and load-pull technique for high re°ection factor synthesis," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 11, 2952-2959, 2010.
24. Tektronix, , "TDS794D User's Manual,".