In this paper, a new circuit configuration composed of two main and reference paths is proposed for the modified multi-section Schiffman phase shifter, which improves its bandwidth. The method of least squares (MLS) is developed for its design, based on a circuit model including dispersion relations and dissipation effects. The differential phase shift and reflection coefficients from the input ports are obtained by conversions among the impedance, admittance, ABCD and scattering matrices of the circuit model. Then, an error function is constructed, whose minimization is performed by the combination of genetic algorithm and conjugate gradient method, which gives the optimum values of the physical dimensions of the metallic strips. The impedance matching function of the proposed phase shifter circuit makes it a dual action device, leading to some circuit miniaturization. Three phase shifter circuits with single, double and quadruple sections are designed and one prototype model is fabricated and measured. The MLS, full-wave simulation softwares and measurement results agree very well, which validate the proposed circuit configuration and MLS design procedure. The multi-section phase shifters have actually increased the frequency bandwidth.
2. Collin, R. E., Foundation for Microwave Engineering, 2nd Edition, Mc Grow Hill, NY, 1992.
3. Bhat, B. and S. B. Koul, Strip Line Like Transmission Lines for Microwave Integrated Circuits, Wiley Eastern Limited, New Delhi, 1989.
4. Free, C. E. and C. S. Aitchison, "Improved analysis and design of coupled-line phase shifters," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., 2126-2131, Sep. 1995.
5. Leong, Y. C. and S. Weinreb, "Novel technique of phase velocity equalization for microstrip coupled-line phase shifters," IEEE MTT-S Intl. Microwave Symp Digset, 1453-1456, Boston, MA, USA, 2000 .
6. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 2nd Edition, Wiley, New York, USA, 1998.
7. Edwards, T. C., Foundations for Microstrip Circuit Design, 2nd Edition, Wiley, New York, 1992.
8. Frickey, D. A., "Conversions between S, Z, Y , h, ABCD and T parameters which are valid for complex source and loud impedances ," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 42, No. 2, Feb. 1994.
9. Ramos Quirarte, J. L. and J. P. Starski, "Novel Schiffman phase shifters," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 41, No. 1, Jan. 1993.
10. Oraizi, H. and A. Shamsafar, "Optimum design of broadband schi®man phase shifters incorporating load and source impedance matching," IEEE International Conference on Advances in Computational Tools for Engineering Applications, Notre Dame University, Beirut, Lebanon, Jul. 15-17, 2009.
11. Oraizi, H. and A. Shamsafar, "Optimum design of broadband coupled-line phase shifters incorporating impedance matching of source and loud impedances ," IEEE International Conference on Advances in Computational Tools for Engineering Applications, Notre Dame University Beirut, Lebanon, Jul. 15-17, 2009.
12. Oraizi, H. and A. Shamsafar, "Design and optimization of wideband multi section coupled-line phase shifters with impedance matching ," PIERS Proceedings, 1450-1453, Moscow, Russia, Aug. 18-21, 2009.