In this paper, two dimensional multi-port method is used to analyze substrate integrated waveguide by using Green's function approach to obtain the impedance matrix of equivalent planar structure. Modes propagation constant of substrate integrated waveguide, as a periodic structure, is calculated by applying Floquet's theorem on the impedance matrix of a unit cell. Field distribution of the propagating mode is obtained by this method. Results obtained by this method are verified, in a broad range of dimensions, by comparing with published results and also those calculated by commercial electromagnetic simulator, HFSS. Electromagnetic band gaps and mode conversion phenomenon as properties of periodic structures are also observed and investigated. Mode conversion in SIW is reported for the first time by our proposed method.
2. Wang, , Z., et al., , "Half mode substrate integrated folded waveguide (HMSIFW) and partial H-plane bandpass filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 203-216, , 2010.
3. Lin, , S., , S. Yang, A. E. Fathy, and A. Elsherbini, , "Development of a novel UWB vivaldi antenna array using SIW technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 369-384, 2009.
4. Liu, , C. J. , K. Huang, and , "A compact substrate integrated waveguide band-pass filter," PIERS Proceedings, 1135-1138, 2010.
5. Wang, , R., , L.-S. Wu, and X.-L. Zhou, , "Compact folded substrate integrated waveguide cavities and bandpass filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, , 135-147, , 2008.
6. Abaei, , E., , E. Mehrshai, and H. R. Sadreazami, "Analysis of substrate integrated waveguide based on two dimensional multi-port method," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter wave Technology (ICMMT), 793-796, , 2010.
7. Arnieri, , E. , G. Amendola, and , "Analysis of substrarte integrated waveguide structures based on the parallel-plate waveguide Green's function," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech. , Vol. 56, No. 7, 1615-1623, 2008.
8. Feng, , X. , K. Wu, and , "Guided-wave and leakage characteristics of substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 53, No. 1, 66-73, 2005.
9. Kishihara, , M., , K. Yamane, and I. Ohta, "Analysis of post-wall waveguide by H-plane planar circuit approach," IEEE/MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, 1931-1934, 2007.
10. Zhubenko, , V., "Passive microwave components and antennas," In-Tech,, 2010.
11. Olivier, , S., et al., , "Coupled-mode theory and propagation losses in photonic crystal waveguides," Opt. Express, , Vol. 11, No. 13, 1490-1496, , 2003..
12. Abaei, , E., E. Mehrshai, and H. R. Sadreazami, , "The influence of periodic discontinuities on propagation characteristics of substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Asia-Pacific Conference on Applied Electromagnetics (APCAE),, 2010 .
13. Itoh, , T., , Numerical Techniques for Microwave and Millimeter-Wave Passive Structures,, John Wiley and Sons Pub., New York, 1989.
14. Sharma, , P. C. , K. C. Gupta, and , "Desegmentation method for analysis of two-dimensional microwave circuits," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 29, No. 10, 1094-1098, , 1981.
15. Abaei, , E., E. Mehrshai, and , "Effcient desegmentation technique for analysis of planar circuits," 6th German Microwave Conference, 2011.
16. Collin, , R. E., , Field Theory of Guided Waves,, IEEE press, New York, 1991.
17. Elachi, , C., , "Elachi, C., \Waves in active and passive periodic structures: A review," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 64, No. 12, 1976.