This paper presents a novel planar antenna with a reconfigurable radiation pattern. The proposed layout consists of N ≥ 2 monospaced planar bowtie antennas selected one by one by means of a pair of PIN diodes. Experimental results referring to the case of N=2 and N=4 are reported and discussed demonstrating the feasibility and effectiveness of the proposed design approach.
2. Singh, G. and M. Kumar, "Design of frequency reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna," 6th IEEE International Conference on Industrial and Information Systems (ICIIS), Kandy, Sri Lanka, Aug. 2011.
3. Chung, K., Y. Nam, T. Yun, and J. Choi, "Reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna with switchable polarization," ETRI Journal, Vol. 28, 379-382, Jun. 2006.
4. Monti, G., L. Corchia, and L. Tarricone, "Patch antenna with reconfigurable polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 9, 13-23, 2009.
5. Piazza, D., P. Mookiah, M. D'Amico, and K. R. Dandekar, "Pattern and polarization reconfigurable circular patch antenna for MIMO systems," Proc. 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, EUCAP, 1047-1051, Berlin, Germany, Mar. 23-27, 2009.
6. Nikolaou, S., R. Bairavasubramanian, C. Lugo, I. Carrasquillo, D. C. Thompson, G. E. Ponchak, J. Papapolymerou, and M. M. Tentzeris , "Pattern and frequency reconfigurable annular slot antenna using PIN diodes," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 2, 439-448, Feb. 2006.
7. Chen, W. H., J. W. Sun, X. Wang, Z. H. Feng, F. L. Chen, Y. Furuya, and A. Kuramoto, "A novel planar switched parasitic array antenna with steered conical pattern," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 6, 1883-1887, Jun. 2007.
8. Chen, S.-H., J.-S. Row, and K.-L. Wong, "Reconfigurable square-ring patch antenna with pattern diversity," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 2, 472-475, Feb. 2007.
9. Rajagopalan, A., G. Gupta, A. S. Konanur, B. Hughes, and G. Lazzi, "Increasing channel capacity of an ultrawideband MIMO system using vector antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 10, 2880-2887, Oct. 2007.
10. Shi, M., J. Lu, and D. J. Ireland, "Smart patch antenna for indoor mobile wireless computing," Proc. Asia Pacific Conference, Vol. 3, Dec. 2005.
11. Migliore, M. D., D. Pinchera, and F. Schettino, "A simple and robust adaptive parasitic antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 10, 3262-3272, Oct. 2005.
12. Araki, K., A. Tanaka, and E. Matsumura, "Wide scanning phased array antenna design in Ka band," IEE Proceedings Microwaves Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 150, No. 5, 379-384, Oct. 2003.
13. Haider, N., D. P. Tran, A. G. Roederer, and A. G. Yarovoy, "Reconfigurable L/S band phased array," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 23, 1265-1266, Nov. 2011.
14. Yuan, Q., Q. Chen, and K. Sawaya, "Performance of adaptive array antenna with arbitrary geometry in the presence of mutual coupling," IEEE Trans. on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 7, Jul. 2006.
15. Tantisopharak, T., A. Boonpoonga, C. Phongcharoenpanich, P. Sirisuk, and M. Krairiksh, "Adaptive array antenna using on-off and CMA algorithms for microwave RFID readers," IEICE Trans. on Commun., Vol. E94-B, No. 5, May 2011.
16. Yang, X.-S., B.-Z. Wang, and Y. Zhang, "Pattern reconfigurable quasi-yagi microstrip antenna using a photonic band gap structure," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 42, 296-297, Jun. 2004.
17. Zhang, S., G. H. Huff, G. Cung, and J. T. Bernhard, "Three variations of a pattern reconfigurable microstrip parasitic array," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 45, No. 5, 369-372, Jun. 2005.
18. Fayad, H. and P. Record, "Multi-feed dielectric resonator antenna with reconfigurable radiation pattern," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 341-356, 2007.
19. Monti, G., L. Corchia, and L. Tarricone, "Patch antenna with reconfigurable polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 9, 13-23, 2009.
20. Romano, N., G. Prisco, and F. Soldovieri, "Design of a reconfigurable antenna for ground penetrating radar applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 1-18, 2009.
21. Bailey, M. C., "Broad-band half-wave dipole," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 32, No. 4, 410-412, Apr. 1984.
22. Monti, G. and F. Congedo, "UHF rectenna using a bowtie antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 26, 181-192, 2012.
23. , , , http://www.cst.com/.