A reconfigurable stacked patch antenna is introduced for wireless power reception and data telemetry application in sensors. The proposed antenna operates at 5.8 GHz with 9.4 dBi gain and 7.6% bandwidth. At a lower frequency 2.45 GHz the antenna operates as a planar inverted-F antenna (PIFA) with 3.3 dBi gain and 2% bandwidth. Switching between the two regimes of operation is achieved using PIN diodes. It is proposed that the antenna can be used for wireless power reception in sensors at 5.8 GHz and for data telemetry in between a sensor and a control station at 2.45 GHz. The wireless power reception ability of this antenna was tested and verified by developing a high efficiency schottky diode rectifying circuit. The RF-to-DC conversion efficiency was 85% for an input power density level of 1 mW/cm2.
2. Chiao, J.-C., Y. Fu, I. M. Chio, M. D. Lisio, and L. Y. Lin, "MEMS reconfigurable vee antenna," IEEE MTT-S Symp. Dig., 1999.
3. Bernhard, J. T., R. Wang, and P. Mayes, "Stacked reconfigurable antenna elements for space based radar applications," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Symp. Dig., Vol. 1, 158-161, 2001.
4. Jofre, L., B. A. Cetiner, and F. de Falviss, "Miniature multi-element antenna for wireless communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 50, 658-669, May 2002.
5. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Patch antenna with switchable slot (PASS): Dual frequency operation," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 31, No. 3, 165-168, Nov. 2001.
6. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "A reconfigurable patch antenna using switchable slots for circular polarization diversity," IEEE Microwave Wireless Component Lett., Vol. 12, 96-98, Mar. 2002.
7. Peroulis, D., K. Sarabandi, and L. P. B. Katehi, "A planar VHF reconfigurable slot antenna," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Symp. Dig., Vol. 1, 154-157, 2001.
8. Fries, M. K., M. Grani, and R. Vahldieck, "A reconfigurable slot antenna with switchable polarization," IEEE Microwave Wireless Component Lett., Vol. 13, 490-492, Nov. 2003.
9. Langer, J. C., J. Zou, C. Liu, and J. T. Bernhard, "Micromachined reconfigurable out-of-plane microstrip patch antenna using plastic deformation magnetic actuation," IEEE Microwave Wireless Component Lett., Vol. 13, 120-122, Mar. 2003.
10. Nair, S. V. S. and M. J. Ammann, "Reconfigurable antenna with elevation and azimuth beam switching," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 9, 367-370, 2010.
11. Kunda, V. K., M. Ali, and H. S. Hwang, A tunable stacked microstrip patch antenna for directional and omnidirectional links, Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium and URSI/USNC Meeting, Monterey, CA, Jun. 2004.
12. Bernhard, J. T., Reconfigurable antennas, The Wiley Encyclopedia of RF and Microwave Engineering, K. Chang, Editor, 2005.
13. Bernhard, J. T., Reconfigurable antennas, Antenna Engineering Handbook, J. Volakis, Editor, 4th Edition, McGraw Hill, 2007.
14. Yang, G., M. Ali, and R. A. Dougal, A multi-functional stacked patch antenna for wireless power beaming and data telemetry, Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propagat. Soc. Int. Sym. Dig., Vol. 2A, 359-362, Washington, DC, Jul. 2005.
15. Strassner, B. and K. Chang, "5.8 GHz circularly polarized rectifying antenna for wireless microwave power transmission," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 50, 1870-1876, Aug. 2002.
16. Strassner, B. and K. Chang, "5.8 GHz circularly polarized dual-rhombic-loop traveling-wave rectifying antenna for low power-density wireless power transmission applications," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 51, 1548-1553, May 2003.
17. Chin, C. K., Q. Xue, and C. H. Chan, "Design of a 5.8-GHz rectenna incorporating a new patch antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 4, 175-178, 2005.
18. Ren, Y. and K. Chang, "5.8 GHz circularly polarized dual-diode rectenna and rectenna array for microwave power transmission," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 54, 1495-1502, Apr. 2006.
19. Radiom, S., M. B. Nejad, K. M. Aghdam, G. A. E. Vandenbosch, L. Zheng, and G. G. E. Gielen, "Far-field on-chip antennas monolithically integrated in a wireless-powered 5.8-GHz down-link/UWB uplink RFID tag in 0.18-μm standard CMOS," IEEE Journal. Solid State Cir., Vol. 45, 1746-1758, Sep. 2010.
20. Suh, Y. and K. Chang, "A high-efficiency dual-frequency rectenna for 2.45- and 5.8-GHz wireless power transmission," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 50, 1784-1789, Jul. 2002.
21. Heikkinen, J. and M. Kivikoski, "A novel dual-frequency circularly polarized rectenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 2, 330-333, 2003.
22. Shams, K. M. Z. and M. Ali, "Wireless power transmission to a buried sensor in concrete," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 7, 1573-1577, Dec. 2007.
23. Ali, M., G. Yang, and R. A. Dougal, "A new circularly polarized rectenna for wireless power transmission and data communication," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 4, 205-208, Jul. 2005.
24. Ali, M., G. Yang, and R. Dougal, "Miniature circularly polarized rectenna with reduced out of band harmonics," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 5, 107-110, 2006.
25. Rowell, C. R. and R. D. Murch, "A capacitively loaded PIFA for compact mobile telephone handsets," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 45, 837-842, May 1997.
26. Virga, K. L. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Low-profile enhanced-bandwidth PIFA antennas for wireless communications packaging," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 45, 1879-1888, Oct. 1997.
27. Waterhouse, R. B., S. D. Targonski, and D. M. Kokotoff, "Design and performance of small printed antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 46, 1629-1633, Nov. 1998.
28. Karmakar, N. C., "Shorting strap tunable stacked patch PIFA," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 52, 2877-2884, Nov. 2004.
29. Ansoft Corporation, Available: www.ansoft.com.
30. Yang, G. Conformal multi-functional antennas and rectifying circuits for wireless communication and microwave power beaming, Ph.D. Dissertation, University of South Carolina, 2005.