In this paper, a novel approach to design compact multi-band loop antennas is proposed. This type of antennas is composed of coplanar waveguide (CPW)-based composite right/left-handed (CRLH) quarter-wave type resonators, and developed on a vialess single layer. Both size reduction and low frequency ratios have been achieved, profiting from the employment of quarter-wave resonators and the high nonlinearity in the left-handed region of CRLH transmission line (TL) dispersion diagram. A sample prototype operating at three negative modes (1.92/2.15/2.64 GHz) with an overall size of 29 × 21.3 × 1.0 mm3 was manufactured and measured. Measured results show good agreement with EM simulation, exhibiting good impedance matching as well as stably omni-directional radiation patterns at the three operating modes.
2. Kim, Y. and D. H. Kwon, "CPW-fed planar ultra wideband antenna having a frequency band notch function," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, 403-405, 2004.
3. Song, K., Y. Z. Yin, and B. Chen, "Triple-band open L-slot antenna with a slit and a strip for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 22, 139-146, 2011.
4. Hu, W., Y. Z. Yin, P. Fei, and X. Yang, "Compact triband square-slot antenna with symmetrical L-strips for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 462-465, 2011.
5. Jaw, J.-L. and J.-K. Chen, "CPW-fed hook-shaped strip antenna for dual wideband operation," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 13, 1809-1818, 2008.
6. Heidari, A. A., M. Heyrani, and M. Nakhkash, "A dual-band circularly polarized stub loaded microstrip patch antenna for GPS applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 195-208, 2009.
7. Wang, E., J. Zheng, and Y. Liu, "A novel dual-band patch antenna for WLAN communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 6, 93-102, 2009.
8. Ciais, P., R. Staraj, G. Kossiavas, and C. Luxey, "Design of an internal quad-band antenna for mobile phones," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, 148-150, 2004.
9. Risco, S., J. Anguera, A. Andúar, A. Pérez, and C. Puente, "Coupled monopole antenna design for multiband handset devices," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, 359-364, 2010.
10. Zhang, S. M., F. S. Zhang, W. M. Li, W. Z. Li, and H. Y. Wu, "A multi-band monopole antenna with two different slots for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 28, 173-181, 2012.
11. Song, Y., Y. C. Jiao, G. Zhao, and F. S. Zhang, "Multiband CPW-fed triangle-shaped monopole antenna for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 329-336, 2007.
12. Hossa, R., A. Byndas, and M. E. Bialkowski, "Improvement of compact terminal antenna performance by incorporating open-end slots in ground plane," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, 283-285, 2004.
13. Abedin, M. F. and M. Ali, "Modifying the ground plane and its effect on planar inverted-F antennas (PIFAs) for mobile phone handsets," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 2, 226-229, 2003.
14. Anguera, J., I. Sanz, J. Mumbrú, and C. Puente, "Multi-band handset antenna with a parallel excitation of PIFA and slot radiators," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, 348-356, 2010.
15. Abdallah, M., F. Colombel, G. Le Ray, and M. Himdi, "Frequency tunable antenna for digital video broadcasting hand-held application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 24, 1-8, 2011.
16. Huang, L. and P. Russer, "Electrically tunable antenna design procedure for mobile applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, 2789-2797, 2008.
17. Andújar, A., J. Anguera, and C. Puente, "Ground plane boosters as a compact antenna technology for wireless handheld devices," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, 1668-1677, 2011.
18. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ," Soviet Physics Uspekhi, Vol. 10, 509-514, 1968.
19. Eleftheriades, G. V. and K. G. Balmain, Negative-refraction Metamaterials: Fundamental Principles and Applications, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2005.
20. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2006.
21. Ntaikos, D. K., N. K. Bourgis, and T. V. Yioultsis, "Metamaterial-based electrically small multiband planar monopole antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 963-966, 2011.
22. Montero-de-Paz, J., E. Ugarte-Mu~noz, and F. J. Herraiz-Martínez, "Multifrequency self-diplexed single patch antennas loaded with split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 47-66, 2011.
23. Du, G., X. Tang, and F. Xiao, "Tri-band metamaterial-inspired monopole antenna with modified S-shaped resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 23, 39-48, 2011.
24. Caloz, C., T. Itoh, and A. Rennings, "CRLH metamaterial leaky-wave and resonant antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 50, 25-39, 2008.
25. Anghel, A. and R. Cacoveanu, "Improved composite right/left-handed cell for leaky-wave antenna ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 22, 59-69, 2011.
26. Jang, T., J. Choi, and S. Lim, "Compact coplanar waveguide (CPW)-fed zeroth-order resonant antennas with extended band-width and high efficiency on vialess single layer," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, 363-372, 2011.
27. Xiao, S., D. Wang, C. Wei, and B. Wang, "A compact planar negative permittivity ZOR antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 8-9, 1122-1130, 2011.
28. Ryu, Y. H., J. H. Park, J. H. Lee, and H. S. Tae, "Multi-band antenna using +1, -1, and 0 resonant mode of DGS dual composite right/left-handed transmission line," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, 2485-2488, 2009.
29. Yang, T., P. L. Chi, and T. Itoh, "Compact quarter-wave resonator and its applications to miniaturized diplexer and triplexer," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, 260-269, 2011.
30. Bahl, I., Lumped Elements for RF and Microwave Circuits, Artech House Publishers, 2003.
31. Kim, D. and J. Yeo, "A passive RFID tag antenna installed in a recessed cavity in a metallic platform ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, 3814-3820, 2010.