This paper presents a two-port antenna including a receiving port and a transmitting one in the same volume. These two antennas are physically integrated and electrically isolated. The receiving antenna is a linearly polarized narrowband slot for energy harvesting, whereas the transmitting one is a circularly-polarized ultrawideband (UWB) quasi-spiral for signal radiation. The measurement results show that, the slot resonates at 5.8 GHz, and the quasi-spiral has a 10-dB return loss bandwidth of 2.85-5.16 GHz and a 3-dB axial ratio bandwidth of 3.05-4.43 GHz. The electrical isolation between these two antennas is more than 20 dB covering 1-8 GHz. This two-port antenna is a good candidate for wireless-powered UWB-RFID tags.
2. Fontana, , R. J., , "Recent system applications of short-pulse ultrawideband (UWB) technology," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 9, 2087-2104, 2004.
4. Xia, , J. J., C. L. Law, Y. Zhou, and K. S. Koh, "3--5 GHz UWB impulse radio transmitter and receiver MMIC optimized for long range precision wireless sensor networks," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 58, No. 12, 4040-4051, , 2010..
5. Hu, , S., Y. Zhou, C. L. Law, and W. Dou, , "Study of a uniplanar monopole antenna for passive chipless UWB-RFID localization system," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag.,, Vol. 58, No. 2, 271-278, 2010.
6. Ramos, , A., A. Lazaro, D. Girbau, and R. Villarino, "Time-domain measurement of time-coded UWB chipless RFID tags," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 96, 299-308, , 2009.
7. Radiom, , S., M. Maghaei-Nejad, K. Aghdam, G. A. E. Vandenbosch, L. R. Zheng, and G. G. G. Gielen, "Far-field on-chip antennas monolithically integrated in a wireless-powered 5.8-GHz downlink/UWB uplink RFID tag," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits,, Vol. 45, No. 9, , 1746-1758, , 2010..
8. Pelissier, , M., , J. Jantunen, B. Gomez, J. Arponen, G. Masson, S. Dia, J. Varteva, and M. Gary, "A 112 Mb/s full duplex remotely-powered impulse-UWB RFID transceiver for wirelessNV-memory applications," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits,, Vol. 46, No. 4, 916-927, 2011.
9. Zhou, , L. L., H. B. Zhu, and N. T. Zhang, "Iterative solution to the notched waveform design in cognitive ultra-wideband radio system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 271-284, 2007.
10. Chi, , L. P., , S. S. Bor, S. M. Deng, C. L. Tsai, P. H. Juan, and K. W. Liu, "A wideband wide-strip dipole antenna for circularly polarized wave operations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 69-82, 2010..
11. Chen, , Y. B., , X. F. Liu, Y. C. Jiao, and F. S. Zhang, , "CPW-fed broadband circularly polarised square slot antenna," Electronics Letters,, Vol. 42, No. 19, 1074-1076, 2006..
12. Chou, , C. C., K. H. Lin, and H. L. Su, "Broadband circularly polarised cross-patch-loaded square slot antenna," ElectronicsLetters, , Vol. 43, No. 9, , 485-486, 2007.
13. Kasabegoudar, , V. G. , K. J. Vinoy, and , "A broadband suspended microstrip antenna for circular polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 90, , 353-368, , 2009.
14. Guo, , Y. X., , K. W. Khoo, and L. C. Ong, "Ultra-wideband circularly polarized wide-slot antenna fed by three-stub hybrid coupler," IEEE International Conference on Ultra-Wideband , 487-490, 2007.
15. Qing, , X. M., Z. N. Chen, and H. L. Chung, "Ultra-wideband circularly-polarized patch antenna," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, , 1644-1646, , 2006.
16. Liu, , Q., , C. L. Ruan, L. Peng, and W. X. Wu, , "A novel compact archimedean spiral antenna with gap-loading," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 3, , 169-177, , 2008..
17. Chen, , T. K. , G. H. Huff, and , "Stripline-fed Archimedean spiral antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett.,, Vol. 11, , 346-349, 2011.
18. Eubanks, , T. W. , K. Chang, and , "A compact parallel-plane perpendicular-current feed for a modified equiangular spiral antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett.,, Vol. 58, , 2193-2202, , 2010.