Microstrip patch antenna has been designed and developed for Unmanned Aerial Vehicle based Synthetic Aperture Radar (UAVSAR). This antenna operates in C-Band at the frequency of 5.3 GHz with a bandwidth of 80\,MHz. The radiation patterns of the antenna were specified to provide a desired scanned area for UAVSAR. The UAVSAR antenna was designed in the form of combination of 3 subpanels to allow dual operating mode (single antenna or dual antenna) selection. Two feed points are provided to the feeding network of each subpanel to reduce undesired power loss. The developed antenna prototype meets the performance requirements of UAVSAR system. It shows promising results in the UAVSAR flight mission conducted in Mersing area, Malaysia for both operating modes.
2. Skolnik, , M. I., , Introduction to Radar Systems,, McGraw Hill, Singapore, , 2001.
3. Islam, , M. F., , M. A. M. Ali, B. Y. Majlis, and N. Misran, , "Dual band microstrip patch antenna for SAR applications," Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences,, Vol. 4, No. 10, , 4585-4591, 2010..
4. Chan, , Y. K., , B.-K. Chung, and H.-T. Chuah, , "Transmitter and receiver design of an experimental airborne synthetic aperture radar sensor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 49, 203-218, , 2004.
5. Curlander, J. C. , R. N. McDounough, and , Synthetic Aperture Radar, Systems and Signal Processing, , John Wiley & Sons, , New York, , 1991..
6. Besso, , P., , M. Crozzoli, D. Forigo, and R. Vallauri, , "Design and Characteristics of a Sector/Cosec2 Shaped Beam Microstrip Antenna, ," Antennas and Propagation Conference Publication, , No. 407, 85-88, , 1995.
7. Christensen, E. L. , M. Dich, and , "SAR antenna design for ambiguity and multipath suppression," International Symposium Geoscience and Remote Senssing,, Vol. 2, 784-787, 1993.
8. Vetharatnam, , G., , B. K. Chung, and H. T. Chuah, , "Design of a microstrip patch antenna array for airborne SAR applications Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications," , Vol. 19, No. 12, 1687-1701, , 2005.