A new approach to obtain frequency and pattern reconfiguration in Dielectric Resonator Antenna (DRA) has been proposed. The design consists of two identical aperture coupled DRAs separated by a distance of λ0. A switchable feed based frequency reconfiguration is discussed in which the feed acts as an ideal switch. This design operates at two frequencies viz., 3.6 GHz and 5.2 GHz. These frequencies are independently tuned using trimmers. Further, the slot length of both the DRAs can be tuned independently using movable shorting pins driven by miniature motors. The shorting pins form a part of the ground plane. By varying the slot length of the DRA, the resonant frequency is controlled which in turn helps in gaining pattern reconfiguration. The structure has been designed for lower and middle band frequencies of WLAN, operating between 5.15-5.25 GHz and 5.25-5.35 GHz, respectively. These types of antennas can be employed in MIMO systems for increasing the capacity through Pattern diversity.
2. Bernhard, J. T., , "Reconfigurable Antennas," Morgan and Claypool Publishers, 2007.
3. Balanis, , C. A., , Antenna Theory, , Wiley-India Edition, 2005..
4. Saed, M. , R. Yadla, and , "Microstrip-fed low profile and compact dielectric resonator antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 151-162, , 2006.
5. Rezaei, P., , M. Hakkak, and K. Forooraghi, , "Design of wide-band dielectric resonator antenna with a two-segment structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, , 111-124, , 2006.
6. Yang, , S.-L. S., , A. A. Kishk, and K.-F. Lee, , "Frequency recon¯gurable U-slot microstrip patch antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 127-129, 2008.
7. Lee, , H. M., , "Pattern reconfigurable micro-strip patch array using switchable feed-network," Proc. APMC,, 2017-2020, , 2010.
8. Hu, , C.-H., , T.-R. Chen, J.-F. Wu, and J.-S. Row, "Reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna with polarization diversity and frequency agility ," Proc. APMC, , 1918-1921, , 2009.
9. Chen, , Y.-B., , T.-B. Chen, Y.-C. Jiao, and F.-S. Zhang, , "A recon¯gurable microstrip antenna with switchable polarization Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications,", Vol. 20, No. 10, 1391-1398, , 2006.
10. Fayad, , H. , P. Record, and , "Multi-feed dielectric resonator antenna with reconfigurable radiation pattern," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 76, 341-356, 2007.
11. Kingsley, , S. P. , S. G. O'Keefe, and , "Steerable-beam multiple-feed dielectric resonator antenna," U.S. Patent 6,900,764 B2, , 2005..
12. Ding, , Z.-F., S.-Q. Xiao, Y.-Y. Bai, and B.-Z. Wang, "Hemisphere dielectric resonator pattern reconfigurable antenna and its linear phased array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,, Vol. 6, 183-192, 2009.
13. Chen, W., F. Chen, and N. Leng, "Multi-feed reconfigurable pattern antenna implemented by switches," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 400-403, 2005.