A low profile CPW fed millimeter wave rectangular slot antenna operating with a wideband; centered at 94 GHz has been designed, fabricated and tested on a 10 μm silicon diaphragm. To improve the bandwidth of the conventional slot antenna a C-shaped tuning stub has been incorporated. Measurement results show that the antenna operates from 75 to 105 GHz with a reflection coefficient better than -10 dB. At its resonant frequency the fabricated slot antennas have a reflection co-efficient ranging from -25 dB to -35 dB. The bandwidth of the antenna with a tuning stub was found to be over 30% at -10 dB. By using the slot antenna with a C-shaped tuning stub the bandwidth has been shown to improve, which could be used for several Millimeter wave applications.
2. Zhang, J.-C., Y.-Z. Yin, and J.-P. Ma, "Design of narrow band-pass frequency selective surfaces for millimeter wave applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 96, 287-298, 2009.
3. Mohammad-Taheri, M., M. Fahimnia, Y. Wang, M. Yu, and S. Safavi-Naeini, "Wave analysis for inductively matched millimeter wave amplifier design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 13, 41-50, 2010.
4. Ali-Ahmad, W. Y., G. V. Eleftheriades, L. P. B. Katehi, and G. M. Rebeiz, "Millimeter-wave integrated-horn antenna. II. Experiment," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 11, 1582-1586, Nov. 1991.
5. Cogdell, J., J. J. McCue, P. Kalachev, A. Salomonovich, I. Moiseev, J. Stacey, E. Epstein, E. Altshuler, G. Feix, J. Day, H. Hvatum, W. Welch, and F. Barath, "High resolution millimeter reflector antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 18, No. 4, 515-529, Jul. 1970.
6. Sekelsky, S. M. and J. Carswell, "High power electronic scanning millimeter-wave radar system design," IEEE Aerospace Conference, Jul. 24, 2006.
7. Deng, K. L., C. C. Meng, S. S. Lu, H. D. Lee, and H. Wang, "A fully monolithic integrated twin dipole antenna mixer on a GaAs substrate," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, Aug. 6, 2002.
8. Manasson, V. A. and L. S. Sadovnik, "Monolithic electronically controlled millimeter-wave beam steering antenna," 1998 Topical Meeting on Silicon Monolithic Integrated Circuits in RF systems, Aug. 6, 2002.
9. Hirokawa, J., M. Zhang, and M. Ando, "94 GHz fabrication of a slotted waveguide array antenna by diffusion bonding of laminated thin plates ," IEEE Sensors, 907-911, Oct. 2009.
10. Najafi, K., "Recent progress in micromachining technology and application in implantable biomedical systems ," Sixth International Symposium on Micro Machine and Human Science, 11-20, Aug. 6, 2002.
11. Gauthier, G. P., J.-P. Raskin, L. P. B. Katehi, and G. M. Rebeiz, "A 94-GHz aperture-coupled micromachined microstrip antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, No. 12, 1761-1766, Dec. 1999.
12. Felic, G. and E. Skafidas, "A CPW-fed loop slot antenna for integration with millimeter wave CMOS transceiver," European Wireless Technology Conference, 77-80, Oct. 23, 2009.
13. Bhobe, A. U., C. L. Holloway, M. Piket-May, and R. Hall, "Wideband slot antennas with CPW feed lines: Hybrid and log-periodic design," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 10, 2545-2554, Oct. 2004.
14. Nedil, M., L. Talbi, and T. A. Denidni, "Design of broadband printed slot antennas for wireless millimeter-wave applications," Topical Conference on Wireless Communication Technology, 23-24, Aug. 24, 2004.
15. Raman, S., T. M. Weller, L. P. B. Katchi, and G. M. Rebeiz, "A double folded-slot antenna at 94 GHz," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, AP-S. Digest, Vol. 1, 710-713, Jun. 18-23, 1995.
16. Kobayashi, H. and Y. Yasuoka, "Slot-array antennas fed by coplanar waveguide for millimeter-wave radiation," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 46, No. 6, 800-805, Jun. 1998.
17. Ellis, T. J., J.-P. Raskin, G. M. Rebeiz, and L. P. Katehi, "A wideband CPW-fed microstrip antenna at millimeter-wave frequencies," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 1220-1223, Aug. 1999.
18. Elazar, G. and M. Kisliuk, "Microstrip linear slot array antenna for X-band," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 36, No. 8, Aug. 1998.
19. Saed, M. A., "Broadband CPW-FED planar slot antennas with various tuning stubs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 199-212, 2006.
20. Krishnan, S., "Thin film metal-insulator-metal tunnel junctions for millimeter wave detection,", Theses and Dissertations, Paper 346, 2008 .