The miniaturized dual-mode dual-band band-pass filters (BPF) using Minkowski-island-based (MIB) fractal patch resonators are proposed in this paper. The BPF is mainly formed by a square patch resonator in which a MIB fractal configuration with 2nd order iteration is embedded in the patch. By perturbation and inter-digital coupling, the wide-band and dual-band responses are obtained respectively. For miniaturized wide-band design, at 2.41 GHz central frequency it has good measured characteristics including the wide bandwidth of 2.26-2.56 GHz (3-dB fractional bandwidth of 12.4%), low insertion loss of 0.72 dB, high rejection level (-52.5/-44.9 dB), and a patch size reduction with 60.6%. For compact dual-band design, the proposed filter covers the required bandwidths for WLAN bands (2.20-2.96 GHz and 4.74-5.85 GHz). The patch size reduction of 78.1% is obtained. Two transmission zeros are placed between the two pass-bands and resulted in good isolation.
2. Zhu, L., P. M. Wecowski, and K. Wu, "New planar dual-mode filter using cross-slotted patch resonator for simultaneous size and loss reduction," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory & Tech., Vol. 47, No. 5, 650-654, May 1990.
3. Zhu, L., B. C. Tan, and S. J. Quek, "Miniaturized dual-mode bandpass filter using inductively loaded cross-slotted patch resonator," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 1, 22-24, Jan. 2005.
4. Tu, W. H. and K. Chang, "Miniaturized dual-mode bandpass filter with harmonic control," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 12, No. 15, 838-840, Dec. 2005.
5. Wu, S., M. H. Weng, S. B. Jhong, and M. S. Lee, "A novel crossed slotted patch dual-mode bandpass filter with two transmission zeros," Microwave Opt. Tech. Letters, Vol. 50, No. 3, 741-744, Mar. 2008.
6. Hung, C. Y., M. H. Weng, S. B. Jhong, S. Wu, and M. S. Lee, "Design of the wideband dual mode bandpass filter using stepped impedance resonators," Microwave Opt. Tech. Letters, Vol. 50, No. 4, 1104-1107, Apr. 2008.
7. Su, Y. K., J. R. Chen, M. H. Weng, and C. Y. Hung, "Design of a miniature and harmonic control patch dual mode bandpass filter with transmission zeros," Microwave Opt. Tech. Letters, Vol. 50, No. 8, 2161-2163, Aug. 2008.
8. Weng, M. H., D. S. Lee, R. Y. Yang, W. Wu, and C. L. Liu, "A sierpinski fractal-based dual mode bandpass filter," Microwave Opt. Tech. Letters, Vol. 50, No. 9, 2287-2289, Sep. 2008.
9. Weng, M. H., L. S. Jang, and W. Y. Chen, "A Sierpinski-based resonator applied for low loss and miniaturized bandpass filters," Microwave Opt. Tech. Letters, Vol. 51, No. 2, 411-413, Feb. 2009.
10. Ye, C. S., Y. K. Su, M. H. Weng, and H. W. Wu, "Resonant properties of the sierpinski-based fractal resonator and Its application on low-loss miniaturized dual mode bandpass filter," Microwave Opt. Tech. Letters, Vol. 51, No. 5, 1358-1361, May 2009.
11. Chen, W. L. and G. M. Wang, "Effective design of novel compact fractal-shaped microstrip coupled-line bandpass filters for suppression of the second harmonic," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 2, 74-76, Feb. 2009.
12. Xu, H. X., G. M. Wang, and C. X. Zhang, "Fractal-shaped UWB bandpass filter based on composite right/left handed transmission line," Electron. Lett.,, Vol. 46, No. 4, 285-287, Feb. 2010.
13. Hanna, Hanna, P. Jarry, E. Kerherve, and J. M. Pham, " A novel compact dual-mode bandpass filter using fractal shaped resonators," IEEE International Conference on Electronics Circuits and Systems, 343-346, 2006.
14. Sung, Y., "Dual-mode dual-band filter with band notch structures," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 2, 73-75, Feb. 2010.
15. Sheta, A. F., N. Dib, and A. Mohra, "Investigation of new nondegenerate dual-mode microstrip patch filter," IEE Proc. Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 153, No. 1, 89-95, Feb. 2006.
16. Liu, J. C., S. H. Chiu, C. P. Kuei, and B. H. Zeng, "A novel Minkowski-island-based fractal patch for dual-mode and miniaturization bandpass filters," Microwave Opt. Tech. Letters, Vol. 53, No. 3, 594-597, Mar. 2011.
17. Tsai, L. C. and C. W. Huse, "Dual-band bandpass filters using equal length coupled-serial-shunted lines and Z-transform techniques," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 4, 1111-1117, Apr. 2004.
18. Kuo, J. T., T. H. Yeh, and C. C. Yeh, "Design of microstrip bandpass filters with a dual-passband response," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 4, 1331-1337, Apr. 2005.
19. Huang, T. H., H. J. Chen, C. S. Chang, L. S. Chen, Y. H. Wang, and M. P. Houng, "A novel compact ring dual-mode filter with adjustable second-passband for dual-band applications," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 6, 360-362, Jun. 2006.
20. Chen, J. X., T. Y. Yum, J. L. Li, and Q. Xue, "Dual-mode dual-band bandpass filter using stacked-loop structure," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 9, 502-504, Sep. 2006.
21. Zhang, X. Y. and Q. Xue, "Novel dual-mode dual-band filters using coplanar-waveguide-fed ring resonators," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory & Tech., Vol. 55, No. 10, 2183-2190, Oct. 2007.
22. Wu, B., C. Liang, P. Qin, and Q. Li, "Compact dual-band filter using defected stepped impedance resonator," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 10, 674-676, Oct. 2008.
23. Luo, S. and L. Zhu, "A novel dual-mode dual-band bandpass filter based on a single ring resonator," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 8, 497-499, Aug. 2009.
24. Chiou, Y. C., C. Y. Wu, and J. T. Kuo, "New miniaturized dual-mode dual-band ring resonator bandpass filter with microwave C-sections," C. Y. Wu, and J. T. Kuo, Vol. 20, No. 2, 67-69, Feb. 2010.
25. Baik, J. W., L. Zhu, and Y. S. Kim, "Dual-mode dual-band bandpass filter using balun structure for single substrate configuration ," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 11, 613-615, Nov. 2010.
26. Cohen, N., "Fractal element antennas," J. of Electron. Defense, 48-49, 1997.
27. , , , Zeland Software Inc., IE3D version 10.0, Jan. 2005.