A novel circularly polarized antenna with a circular radiating aperture and circular ground plane for broadband characteristics is presented in this paper. The vertical and horizontal components of the L-shaped probe are separated and placed at the front and back sides of the substrate. The antenna is excited by a microstrip line which is connected to the vertical component of the L-shaped probe and electromagnetically couples the signal to the horizontal component of the L-shaped probe. The concept of placing an appropriate stub in the slot, by observing the electric field vector behaviour in the slot, is proposed to enhance the axial ratio (AR) bandwidth by around 15%. The fabricated antenna shows wideband impedance and circular polarization characteristics of 48% along with a maximum gain of 6 dBic. The measured and simulated antenna characteristics are in good agreement.
2. Fukusako, T., K. Okuhata, K. Yanagawa, and N. Mita, "Generation of circular polarization using rectangular waveguide with L-type probe," IEICE Trans. Commun., Vol. e86-B, No. 7, Jul. 2003.
3. Yang, S. L. S., K. F. Lee, A. A. Kishk, and K. M. Luk, "Design and study of wideband single feed circularly polarized microstrip antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 45-61, 2008.
4. Campos, J. L. M. and F. G. Fernandez, "Dual linear/circular polarized planar antenna with low profile double layer polarizer of 45° tilted metallic strips for WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 221-231, 2009.
5. Tseng, L. Y. and T. Y. Han, "Microstrip fed circular slot antenna for circular polarization," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 4, 1056-1058, Apr. 2008.
6. Chen, H. D., "Broadband CPW fed square slot antennas with wideband tuning stub," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 8, 1982-1986, Aug. 2003.
7. Jiao, J. J., G. Zhao, F. S. Zhang, H.-W. Yuan, and Y.-C. Jiao, "A broadband CPW-fed T-shape slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 237-242, 2007.
8. Preradovic, S., I. Balbin, N. C. Karmakar, and G. Swiegers, "A novel chipless RFID system based on planar multiresonators for barcode replacement," 2008 IEEE International Conference on RFID, 289-296, Apr. 2008.
9. Qu, S. W., C. H. Chan, and Q. Xue, "Ultrawideband composite cavity backed folded sectoral bowtie antenna with stable pattern and high gain," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 8, 2478-2483, Aug. 2009.
10. Shi, S., K. Hirasawa, and Z. N. Chen, "Circularly polarized rectangularly bent slot antenna backed by a rectangular cavity," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 49, No. 11, 1517-1524, Nov. 2001.
11. Li, Q. and Z. Shen, "An inverted microstrip fed cavity backed slot antenna for circular polarization," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 1, 190-192, 2002.
12. Hung, K. F. and Y. C. Lin, "Novel broadband circularly polarized cavity backed aperture antenna with travelling wave excitation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 1, 35-42, Jan. 2010.
13. Joseph, R., S. Nakao, and T. Fukusako, "Circular slot antennas using L-shaped probe for broadband circular polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics research C, Vol. 18, 153-168, 2011.
14. Joseph, R. and T. Fukusako, "Bandwidth enhancement of circularly polarized square slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics research B, Vol. 29, 233-250, 2011.
15. Joseph, R., S. Nakao, and T. Fukusako, "Broadband square slot antenna for circular polarization with separated L-probes and stubs in the slot," IEICE Trans. Commun., Vol. E.94-B, 951-959, Apr. 2011.
16. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 1997.
17. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 2005.
18. Saala, G., J. Hopf, and S. Lindenmeier, "Small satellite car antenna for simultaneous reception of LHCP and RHCP signals," Third European Conference on Antennas Propag., EuCap 2009, 2698-2700, Mar. 2009.
19. Saala, G., D. Muller, J. Hopf, and S. Lindenmeier, "Antenna with optimized pattern for simultaneous reception of terrestrial signals and signals of geostationary satellites," Advances in Radio Science , Vol. 8, 37-42, 2010.