In this paper, a deterministic strategy to generate the aperiodicity, based on three geometric taper distributions is studied and validated. The method is applied to study arrays with average inter-elements spacing larger than a wavelength, exhibiting a reduction of the grating lobe level and requiring lower aperture size against a periodic structure with same directivity. Finally, a microstrip patch aperiodic array has been designed, manufactured and measured for an experimental validation of the concept, obtaining good agreement between simulated and measured radiation patterns. This manufactured antenna demonstrates experimentally the reduction of the grating lobes with a similar level to the side lobe.
2. Fuchs, J.-J. and B. Fuchs, "Synthesis of optimal narrow beam low sidelobe linear array with constrained length," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 25, 315-330, 2010.
3. Ismail, T. H., M. J. Mismar, and M. M. Dawoud, "Linear array pattern synthesis for wide band sector nulling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 21, 91-101, 1999.
4. Perez Lopez, J. R. and J. Basterrechea, "Hybrid particle swarm-based algorithms and their application to linear array synthesis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 63-74, 2009.
5. Ishimaru, A., "Theory of unequally-spaced arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., 691-702, 1962.
6. Toyama, N., "Aperiodic array consisting of subarrays for use in small mobile earth stations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 6, 2004-2010, Jun. 2005.
7. Ayestarán, R. G., F. Las-Heras, and J. A. Martínez, "Non uniform-antenna array synthesis using neural networks," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 8, 1001-1011, 2007.
8. Tokan, F. and F. Gunes, "The multi-objective optimization of non-uniform linear phased arrays using the genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 17, 135-151, 2009.
9. Yang, S., Y. Liu, and Q. H. Liu, "Combined strategies based on matrix pencil method and Tabu search algorithm to minimize elements of non-uniform antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 18, 259-277, 2009.
10. Cen, L., W. Se, Z. L. Yu, S. Rahardja, and W. Cen, "Linear sparse array synthesis with minimum number of sensors," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat.,, Vol. 58, No. 3, 720-726, Mar. 2010.
11. Sanchez, J., D. H. Covarrubias-Rosales, and M. A. Panduro, "A synthesis of unequally spaced antenna arrays using Legendre functions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 7, 57-69, 2009.
12. Gregory, M. D., J. S. Petko, T. G. Spence, and D. H. Werner, "Nature-inspired design techniques for ultra-wideband aperiodic antenna arrays," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Mag., Vol. 52, No. 3, Jun. 2010.
13. Bray, M. G., D. H.Werner, D. W. Boeringer, and D. W. Machuga, "Optimization of thinned aperiodic linear phased arrays using genetic algorithms to reduce grating lobes during scanning," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 50, No. 12, 1732-1742, Dec. 2002.
14. Barott, W. C. and P. G. Steffes, "Grating lobe reduction in aperiodic linear arrays of physically large antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Wireless Propagat. Letters, Vol. 8, 406-408, 2009.
15. Wang, H., D.-G. Fang, and Y. L. Chow, "Grating lobe reduction in a phased array of limited scanning," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1581-1586, Jun. 2008.
16. Toso, G., C. Mangenot, and A. G. Roederer, "Sparse and hinned arrays for multiple beam satellite applications," 29th ESA Antenna Workshop, Noordwijk, The Netherlands, Apr. 18-20, 2007.
17. Willey, R., "Space tapering of linear and planar arrays," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Mag., Vol. 10, No. 4, 369-377, Jul. 1962.
18. Doyle, W., "On approximating linear array factors," RAND Corp. Mem. RM-3530-PR, Feb. 1963.
19. Toso, G. and P. Angeletti, "Aperiodic linear arrays for rectangular shaped beams," 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, EuCAP, Mar. 23-27, 2009..
20. Angeletti, P. and G. Toso, "Aperiodic arrays for space applications: A combined amplitude/density synthesis approach," 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, EuCAP, Mar. 23-27, 2009.
21. Bucci, O. M., M. D'Urso, T. Isernia, P. Angeletti, and G. Toso, "Deterministic synthesis of uniform amplitude sparse arrays via new density taper techniques," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 58, No. 6, 1949-1957, Jun. 2010.
22. Bhattacharyya, A., Phased Array Antennas: Floquet Analysis, Synthesis, BFNs and Active Arrays Systems, John Wiley, 2006.
23. , , , Agilent's Momentum Software, www.agilent.com/find/eesof-ads.
24. , , , Antem LAB, www.tsc.uniovi.es/lab ant EM/index.html.
25. , , , Ansoft's HFSS Software, www.ansoft.com/products/hf/hfss.