In this paper, a rectifying antenna (rectenna) for energy scavenging applications is presented. The proposed device uses a modified bowtie antenna to collect the electromagnetic energy coming from UHF RFID systems, and RF Schottky diodes to convert it into DC power. Experimental results at 866 MHz demonstrating an RF-to-DC conversion efficiency of about 65% with an input power density of 60 μW/cm2 will be presented and discussed.
2. Monti, G., L. Tarricone, and M. Spartano, "X-band planar rectenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1116-1119, 2011.
3. Heikkinen, J. and M. Kivikoski, "Low-profile circularly polarized rectifying antenna for wireless power transmission at 5.8 GHz," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, No. 4, Apr. 2004.
4. Ali, M., G. Yang, and R. Dougal, "A new circularly polarized rectenna for wireless power transmission and data communication," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 4, 205-208, 2005.
5. Heikkinen, J. and M. Kivikoski, "A novel dual-frequency circularly polarized rectenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 2, 330-333, 2003.
6. Strassner, B. and K. Chang, "Highly effcient C-band circularly polarized rectifying antenna array for wireless microwave power transmission," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 6, 1347-1356, Jun. 2003.
7. Tikhov, Y., I.-J. Song, and Y.-H. Min, "Rectenna design for passive RFID transponders," Proc. of the 37th European Microwave Conference, Munich, Germany, Oct. 2007.
8. Chen, R.-H., Y.-C. Lee, and J.-S. Sun, "Design and experiment of a rectifying antenna for 900MHz wireless power transmission," Proc. of Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, APMC 2008, Macau, Dec. 16-20, 2008.
9. Seeman, K. and R. Weigel, "Ultra low power rectification in passive RFID tags at UHF frequencies," Frequenz, Vol. 59, 112-115, 2005.
10. Rizzoli, V., G. Bichicchi, A. Costanzo, F. Donzelli, and D. Masotti, "CAD of multi-resonator rectenna for micro-power generation," Proc. of the 4th EuMIC, Rome, Italy, Sep. 2009.
11. Riviere, S., F. Alicalapa, A. Douyere, and J.-D. Lan Sun Luk, "A compact rectenna device at low power level," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 16, 137-146, 2010.
12. Congedo, F., G. Monti, and L. Tarricone, "Broadband bowtie antenna for RF energy scavenging applications," 4rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), Rome, Apr. 11-15, 2011.
13., , http://www.st.com..
14. Kuphaldt, T. R., Lessons in Electric Circuits, Volume III - Semiconductors, 5th edition, Apr., 2009, www.ibiblio.org/obp/electricCircuits..
15., , http://www.cst.com/..
16., , http://gnuradio.org/..
17., , Ettus Research LLC website: http://www.ettus.com..