This study is designed mainly for dual band antennas of GSM/WiMAX operation in a wireless mobile communication device. This study proposes a matching technology for single path resonance in a basic monopole antenna running in dual-mode  and extends to a wide tuning range. The tuning of each frequency band is complicated under the constraint of the common path of dual-mode due to mutual interaction. This study proposes a refined process and new type of antennas for excellent dual-frequency matching. The incorporation of such a matching mechanism into a tuning monopole antenna enables the flexible operation bands. Moreover, the ground plane size can be shrunk to a reasonable size, and the details will be discussed in Section~6. As a result, antennas can achieve a tuning ratio of 1.6 (from 1825 to 2943 MHz). The total area of such a compact antenna including its ground can be effectively reduced to 0.018λ02.
2., IEEE Standards Association (IEEE-SA) Standards.
3., The IEEE 802.16 Working Group on Broadband Wireless AccessStandards,.
4. Bialkowski, , M. E., A. R. Razali, and A. Boldaji, "Design of an ultrawideband monopole antenna for portable radio transceiver," IEEE Antenna Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, , 554-557, 2010.
5. Lee, , C. T., K. L. Wong, and , "Uniplanar printed coupled-fed PIFA with a band-notching slit for WLAN/WiMAX operation in the laptop computer," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 57, No. 4, 1252-1258, 2009.
6. Chaimool, , S. , K. L. Chung, and , "CPW-fed mirrored-L monopole antenna with distinct triple bands for WiFi and WiMAX applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 18, 928-929, , 2009.
7. Chen, , W. S. , Y. H. Yu, and , "Dual-band printed dipole antenna with parasitic element for WiMAX applications," Electron. Lett.,, Vol. 44, No. 23, , 1338-1339, , 2008.
8. Shin, , Y. S. , S. O. Park, and , "A compact loop type antenna for bluetooth, S-DMB, Wibro, WiMax, and WLAN applications," IEEE Antenna Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 6, 320-323, , 2007.
9. Kim, , T. H. , D. C. Park, and , "CPW-fed compact monopole antenna for dual-band WLAN applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 6, , 291-293, , 2005.
10. Wong, K. L., S. C. Chen, and , "Printed single-strip monopole using a chip inductor for penta-band WWAN operation in the mobile phone," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 58, No. 3, , 1011-1014, , 2010..
11. Jeong, , S. J., K. C. Hwang, and , "Compact loop-coupled spiral antenna for multiband wireless USB dongles," Electron. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 6, 388-390, 2008.
12. Lee, , S. H. , Y. Sung, and , "Multiband antenna for wireless USB dongle applications," IEEE Antenna Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 25-28, 2011.
13. Zhang, , Y., , Z. N. Chen, and M. Y. W. Chia, "Characteristics of planar dipoles printed on finite-size PCBs in UWB radio systems," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (AP-S), , 2004.
14. Rmili, , H., L. Aberbour, and C. Craeye, "On the radiation resistance of a planar monopole antenna with reduced ground plane," IEEE Antenna Wireless Propag. Lett. , Vol. 9, 732-736, 2010.