This paper presents a frequency reconfigurable cedar-shaped fractal antenna. The special shape of the patch makes it simpler to integrate RF switches to connect consecutive branches. The proper activation/deactivation of the switches alters the current flow and changes the resonance frequency. Simulated and measured results show the characteristics of the presented design.
2. Yu, , Y. H. , C. P. Ji, and , "Research of fractal technology in the design of multi-frequency antenna," Microwave Conference Proceedings (CJMW), , 1-4, , 2011.
3. Ramadan, , A., , M. Al-Husseini, K. Y. Kabalan, and A. El-Hajj, "Fractal-shaped reconfigurable antennas," Microstrip Antennas, 2011..
4. Balanis, , C. A., , Antenna Theory, Analysis and Design, , John Wiley and Sons, , 2005.
5. Rao, P. N. , N. V. S. N. Sarma, and , "A single feed circularly polarized fractal shaped microstrip antenna with fractal slot," PIERS Proceedings,, 195-197, , 2008.
6. Ramadan, , A., , M. Al-Husseini, K. Y. Kabalan, A. El-Hajj, and J. Costantine, , "A compact Sierpinski-carpet-based patch antenna for UWB applications," Proceedings of IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APS-URSI 2009), 2009..
7. Al-Husseini, , M., , A. Ramadan, M. E. Zamudio, C. G. Christodoulou, A. El-Hajj, and K. Y. Kabalan, , "A UWB antenna combined with a reconfigurable bandpass filter for cognitive radio applications," The 2011 International Conference on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications (ICEAA2011), 2011.
8. Tawk, Y., , M. Al-Husseini, S. Hemmady, A. R. Albrecht, G. Balakrishnan, and C. G. Christodoulou, "Implementation of a cognitive radio front-end using optically reconfigurable antennas," The 2010 International Conference on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications (ICEAA2010), , 2010.
9. Cai, , X., , A. Wang, and W. Chen, , "A circular disc-shaped antenna with frequency and pattern reconfigurable characteristics,"," China-Japan Joint Microwave Conference Proceedings (CJMW), 2011.
10. De Luis, , J. R. , F. de Flaviis, and , "A reconfigurable dual frequency switched beam antenna array and phase shifter using PIN diodes," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2009, APSURSI'09, , 2009.
11. Hamid, , M. R., P. S. Hall, P. Gardner, and F. Ghanem, , "Frequency reconfigurable Vivaldi antenna," 2010 Proceedings of the Fourth, 2010..
12. Sondas, , A., , M. H. B. Ucar, and Y. E. Erdemli, , "Tunable loop-loaded printed dipole antenna design," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), , 1-4, 2010.
13. Al-Husseini, M., , J. Costantine, C. G. Christodoulou, S. E. Barbin, A. El-Hajj, and K. Y. Kabalan, "A reconfigurable frequency-notched UWB antenna with split-ring resonators," Microwave Conference Proceedings (APMC), , 618-621, 2010.
14. Ramadan, , A., , K. Y. Kabalan, A. El-Hajj, S. Khoury, and M. Al-Husseini, "A reconfigurable U-Koch microstrip antenna for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research , Vol. 93, 367-367, 2009..
15. Anagnostou, , D. E., , Anagnostou, D. E., G. Zheng, M. T. Chryssomallis, J. C. Lyke, G. E. Ponchak, J. Papapolymerou, and C. G. Christodoulou, "Design, fabrication, and measurements of an RF-MEMS-based self-similar reconfigurable antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 2, , 422-432, 2006.
16. Guney, K., , K., , "Resonant frequency of a triangular microstrip antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, , Vol. 6, No. 9, 1993.
17. Ansoft HFSS, Pittsburg, PA 15219, .
18. Costantine, , J., , C. G. Christodoulou, and S. E. Barbin, "A new recon¯gurable multi band patch antenna," SBMO/IEEE MTT S International Microwave and Optoelectronics Conference, IMOC, , 75-78, , 2007.
19. Zammit, J. A. and A. Muscat, , J. A. , A. Muscat, and , "Tunable microstrip antenna using switchable patches," Antennas and Propagation Conference, LAPC, 233-236, , 2008.
20. Wu, , T. Wang, A. Ren, and D. G. Michelson, , T. Wang, A. Ren, and D. G. Michelson, , "Implementation of recon¯gurable patch antennas using reed switches," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 2011.