In this paper, a new configuration of Tapered Slot Antenna (TSA) with improved radiation pattern is proposed and studied. This antenna is designed in the form of a substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) array with respect to side lobe level constraints. For side lobe reduction, a simple quasi-triangular distribution is proposed and is accomplished uniquely by means of 3 dB power dividers. A 12-way series feed network with T-junction is designed and demonstrated. Radiation features of the antenna array are discussed to illustrate the accomplishment of a low side lobe level (-19 dB) of the array. The proposed antenna demonstrates the ability of the SIW technology to achieve a very low side lobe in a simple, compact and planar structure.
2. Brown, D. L. and E. Rammos, "Communication satellite requirements for the year 2000 and beyond," The 21st Century Colloquium on Satellite Antenna Technology, 1-2, Jun. 12, 1991.
3. Kolak, F. and C. Eswarappa, "A low profile 77 GHz three beam antenna for automotive radar," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 1107-1110, 2001.
4. Mailloux, R. J., Phased Array Antenna Handbook, 2rd edition, Artech House, 2005.
5. Yang, S., S. H. Suleiman, and A. E. Fathy, "Low profile multilayer slotted substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) array antenna with folded feed network for mobile DBS applications," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 473-476, 2007.
6. Yngvesson, K. S., T. L. Korzeniowski, Y. S. Kim, E. L. Kollberg, and J. F. Johansson, "The tapered slot antenna - A new integrated element for MM wave applications," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 37, No. 2, 365-374, Feb. 1989.
7. Acharya, P. R., J. Johansson, and E. L. Kollberg, "Slotline antenna for millimeter and sub millimeter wavelength," Proc. 20th Eur. Microwave Conf., 353-358, Budapest, Hungary, Sep. 1990.
8. Acharya, P. R., H. Ekstrom, S. S. Gearhart, S. Jacobsson, J. F. Johansson, E. L. Kollberg, and G. M. Rebeiz, "Tapered slotline antenna at 802 GHz," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 41, No. 10, 1715-1719, Oct. 1993.
9. Sugawara, S., Y. Maita, K. Adachi, K. Mori, and K. Mizuno, "Characteristics of a MM-wave tapered slot antenna with corrugated edges," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., 533-536, Jun. 1998.
10. Sato, H., K. Sawaya, Y. Wagatsuma, and K. Mizuno, "Broadband FDTD analysis of fermi antenna with narrow width substrate," Int. Symp Antenna & Propagat. Society, 261-264, 2003.
11. Venot, Y., K. Schuler, and W. Wiesbeck, "Tapered slot antenna for LTCC multilayer substrate integration in mm-wave applications," INICA-2003, ITG-Conference on Antennas, ITGF Uchbereicht, 49-52, Berlin, Germany, Sep. 17-19, 2003.
12. Hao, Z. C., W. Hong, J. X. Chen, X. P. Chen, and K. Wu, "A novel feeding technique for antipodal linearly tapered slot antenna array," International Microwave Symposium, 1641-1644, Jun. 2005.
13. Cheng, Y. J., W. Hong, and K. Wu, "Design of a monopulse antenna using a DVLTSA," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 9, 2903-2909, Sep. 2008.
14. Li, B., L. Dong, and J.-C. Zhao, "The research of broadband millimeter-wave Vivaldi array antenna using SIW technique," ICMMT Proc., 997-1000, 2010.
15. Lee, S., S. Yang, A. E. Fathy, and A. Elsherbini, "Development of a novel UWB Vivaldi antenna array using SIW technology," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 90, 369-384, 2009.
16. Yang, S., E. Adel, S. Lin, A. E. Fathy, A. Kamel, and H. Elhennawy, "A highly effcient Vivaldi antenna array design on thick substrate and fed by SIW structure with integrated GCPW feed," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1985-1988, 2007.
17. HALL, P. S., "Feed radiation effects in sequentially rotated microstrip patch arrays," Electron. Lett., 877-878, 1987.
18. Pucel, R. A., D. Masse, and C. P. Hartwig, "Losses in microstrip," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 16, No. 6, 342-350, 1968.
19. Moldovan, E., R. G. Bosisio, and K. Wu, "LW-band multiport substrate-integrated waveguide circuits," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 54, 625-632, 2006.
20. Kuhlmann, K., K. Rezer, and A. F. Jacob, "Circularly polarized substrate-integrated waveguide antenna array at Kaband," Proceedings of German Microwave Conference, 471-474, Mar. 2008.
21. Zhai, G. H., W. Hong, K. Wu, J. X. Chen, P. Chen, J. Wei, and J. L. Tang, "Folded half mode substrate integrated waveguide 3 dB coupler," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 8, 512-514, Aug. 2008.
22. Wang, Z., X. Li, S. Zhou, B. Yan, R.-M. Xu, and W. Lin, "Half mode substrate integrated folded waveguide (HMSIFW) and partial H-plane bandpass filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 203-216, 2010.
23. Xu, F., K.Wu, and X. P. Zhang, "Periodic leaky-wave antenna for millimeter waves based on substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 2, 340-347, 2010.
24. Russell, K. J., "Microwave power combining techniques," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 27, 472-478, 1979.
25. Germain, S., D. Deslandes, and K.Wu, "Development of substrate integrated waveguide power dividers," Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, 1921-1924, May 4-7, 2003.