A novel planar ultra wideband (UWB) antenna using a second iteration Sierpinski carpet fractal shape with circular boundary is presented in this paper. The antenna covers the frequency band from 3 GHz to 12 GHz (VSWR ≤ 2). The proposed antenna has a meander shaped slot that renders the capability to reject 5.15-5.825 GHz band assigned for IEEE802.11a and HIPERLAN/2. The gain is suppressed very well in the desired WLAN bands. The measured antenna peak gain varies from 1.85 dBi to 6 dBi within the band. The time domain characteristics show that the antenna is not dispersive. A fabricated prototype is developed with close agreement between simulated and measured resonance as well as radiation characteristics.
2. Saleem, R. and A. K. Brown, "Empirical miniaturization analysis of inverse parabolic step sequence based UWB antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 369-381, 2011.
3. Ling, C.-W., W.-H. Lo, R.-H. Yan, and S.-J. Chung, "Planar binomial curved monopole antennas for ultra wideband communication," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 9, 2622-2624, Sep. 2007.
4. Xu, H.-Y., H. Zhang, K. Lu, and X.-F. Zeng, "A holly-leaf-shaped monopole antenna with low RCS for UWB application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 35-50, 2011.
5. Bazaz, R., S. K. Koul, M. Kumar, and A. Basu, "An ultra-wideband antenna with band reject capability and its characterization in time domain ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 19, 223-234, 2011.
6. Gao, G.-P., Z.-L. Mei, and B.-N. Li, "Novel circular slot UWB antenna with dual band-notched characteristic," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 15, 49-63, 2010.
7. Yang, Y.-B., F.-S. Zhang, F. Zhang, L. Zhang, and Y.-C. Jiao, "Design of novel wideband monopole antenna with a tunable notched-band for 2.4 GHz WLAN and UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 13, 93-102, 2010.
8. Barbarino, S. and F. Consoli, "UWB circular slot antenna provided with an inverted-L notch filter for the 5 GHz WLAN band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, 1-13, 2010.
9. Li, C.-M., L.-H. Ye, and , "Improved dual band-notched UWB slot antenna with controllable notched bandwidths," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 477-493, 2011.
10. Kim, K. H. and S. O. Park, "Analysis of the small band-rejected antenna with the parasitic strip for UWB," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 6, 1688-1692, Jun. 2006.
11. Abbosh, A. M. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Design of UWB planar band-notched antenna using parasitic elements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 3, 796-799, Mar. 2009.
12. Peng, L., C.-L. Ruan, Y.-L. Chen, and G.-M. Zhang, "A novel band-notched elliptical ring monopole antenna with a coplanar parasitic elliptical patch for UWB applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 4, 517-528, 2008.
13. Ryu, K. S. and A. A. Kishk, "UWB antenna with single or dual bandnotches for lower WLAN band and upper WLAN band," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 12, 3942-3950, Dec. 2009.
14. Lui, W. J., C. H. Cheng, Y. Cheng, and H. Zhu, "Frequency notched ultra-wideband microstrip slot antenna with fractal tuning stub," Electron. Lett., Vol. 41, No. 6, 294-296, Mar. 2005.
15. Gao, Y., B. L. Ooi, and A. P. Popov, "Band-notched ultra-wideband ring-monopole antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 1, 125-126, Jan. 2006.
16. Qu, S. W., J. L. Li, and Q. Xue, "A band-notched ultrawideband printed monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 495-498, 2006.
17. Thomas, K. G. and M. A. Sreenivasan, "A simple ultrawideband planar rectangular printed antenna with band dispensation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 1, 27-34, Jan. 2010.
18. Ghatak, R., R. Debnath, D. R. Poddar, R. K. Mishra, and S. R. B. Chaudhuri, "A CPW fed planar monopole band notch UWB antenna with embedded split ring resonators," 2009 Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference, 645-647, 2009.
19. Yazdi, M. and N. Komjani, "Design of a band-notched UWB monopole antenna by means of an EBG structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 2011.
20. Liang, J., L. Guo, C. C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Study of CPW fed circular disc monopole antenna," IEE Proceedings Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 152, No. 6, 520-526, Dec. 2005.
21. Falconer, K., Fractal Geometry: Mathematical Foundations and Applications, 2nd Edition, New York, 2003.
22. Begaud, X., Ultrawideband Antennas, John Wiley and Sons, New Jersey, 2011.